Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kissimmee river rumor

Now this is only a rumor so don't jump me if it is not true but I have heard it from 3 different people. Rumors are the river is going to be closed down from the bridge Camp Mack area to the mouth of the lake and they are going to install rip rap all the way to the lake. This is supposed to take 2 years and the lake will be drawn down. There is a project going on now in that area but it is supposed to be completed in mid summer.

2. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Unless they're building a spillway or something with actual concrete, I can't see why they'd need to close or draw down the lake/river to install riprap.. Possibly make it an idle zone for a bit, but don't see them closing the whole river for rip rap.. Just my 2cents.

3. Member
    I agree with Mickstix. Having done this work before there is no need to draw down. Idle zone would be a good idea to protect the work until it is finished but will suck for tournaments.

4. Member
    Draw it down! How many old timers out there remember when they drew it down back in the 90's for scrapping the muck, it was some of the best fishing of my life, can still remember the monsters that we caught during that period. Was tough navigating but if you were brave enough to get out there you were greatly rewarded.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknemo View Post
    Draw it down! How many old timers out there remember when they drew it down back in the 90's for scrapping the muck, it was some of the best fishing of my life, can still remember the monsters that we caught during that period. Was tough navigating but if you were brave enough to get out there you were greatly rewarded.
    I was around during the early 90's draw down. It was excellent fishing during the drawdown and for many years after it. I think its time for another to clean out of the muck.
    Last edited by Whiteboat; 03-20-2018 at 12:52 PM.

6. Member
    Supposed to be no wake from Hatchineha to Kissimmee for eighteen months.
    Five miles is a dang long way at no wake speed. Might as well head upstream.
    Not just "NO" but "DOUBLE NO" to an hour up and an hour back.
    Cypress and Hatch offer plenty of good fishing for my particular taste buds.

7. Derek McCullough
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Supposed to be no wake from Hatchineha to Kissimmee for eighteen months.
    Five miles is a dang long way at no wake speed. Might as well head upstream.
    Not just "NO" but "DOUBLE NO" to an hour up and an hour back.
    Cypress and Hatch offer plenty of good fishing for my particular taste buds.
    When does this start?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derek81 View Post
    When does this start?
    Not sure ... it was supposed to start in January, but didn't.
    Hey, it's SWFMD and a bunch of other alphabetical agencies.
    But it's what they told everyone regarding the canal.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by derek81 View Post
    When does this start?

They still have dozens of drums of poisons to squirt yet. Plus, I'm certain the politicians™ involved, first have to figure out how to divvy up the graft $$$ before any work begins.

10. Member
    I left there Saturday and the yellow collecting nets and bulldozers were being placed on the East side of the canal out of Kissimmee. Looks like sooner rather than later.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion922 View Post
    I left there Saturday and the yellow collecting nets and bulldozers were being placed on the East side of the canal out of Kissimmee. Looks like sooner rather than later.
    Once they start putting them into the water ... no wake zone the entire canal. At least that's the information received originally.

12. Banned
    That will hurt camp Mack,what a shame.

13. Member
    If its anything like the dredging projects (which has far more navigational hazards than dumping rocks along the side of the river) only parts of the canal where they are working will be no wake. I doubt it will be bad, maybe add 15 minutes to your trip through the river.
    Current: 2014 Sportsman Masters 207/150 Yamaha
    9 previous Rangers

14. Member
    I fished the KBS last Sunday and didn't notice anything. I'll be out there tomorrow and will report back....
    David Tervin
    2014 Ranger Z521C / Evinrude 250 ETEC HO
    Lakeland, FL

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

16. Member
    Out there today. They have already started rip rap on the east side below the bridge. Doesn't look at all like it is going to be closed down. I blasted through there about 70mph. Camp Mack personnel didn't know anything about it as well. They have a huge pile of rock staged on the west side below the bridge. All of the underlayment is out there in rolls.
    David Tervin
    2014 Ranger Z521C / Evinrude 250 ETEC HO
    Lakeland, FL

17. Member
    Was out there on 4/8 and ran 70+ the whole way. Passed one boat, not many people out there.

18. Member
    I havent heard anything about it. I bought a place over there in March and Ive been working on it most every weekend..actually ive worked on it every weekend since I bought it, but I havent fished the lake in 2 months lol

19. Member
    Well when you do get a chance to go be careful . The water is going down fast. Had to take my boat off of the cradle last week. No water..

20. Member
    Any reports on the water level on Kissimmee . Looks like we my make the trip this weekend.

Thanks in advance Bruce and Jami

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast