Question 1996 Skeeter ZX180, repowered with 89 GT150

Long story short, Intruder 150 blew and I repowered with an older, 1989 GT150, until I can afford a better option. I don't think i'm getting the performance I should. The motor runs strong, although I was told cylinder #4 was slightly scuffed when I had it checked out, but should still last me a while, as long as I don't beat her up too bad. I would like to get all I can, (performance, and longevity), before I have to make another decision. Below are my numbers as of right now:

1996 Skeeter ZX180
    1989 Johnson GT 150
    14 1/2 X 22 Raker prop (not worked)
    8" manual jack plate I believe
    WOT is only 4800 RPM's, trimmed out, 50.3 MPH(GPS), full tournament load, 1/2 tank of fuel, livewells empty.
    Prop to pad, (pretty sure I measured correctly) is 3.75". I was told, due to the higher water pickup on this motor, I needed to run it a little lower?
    @5, or 6 second holeshot, steering is very stiff, and wants to pull left, until I trim up. Once trimmed up, steering is easy. There is zero chine walk
    Not much of a rooster tail.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance
    2000 Ranger R93VS
    2003 Mercury Optimax

2. Member
    I got that motor also and its not the fastest and is a gas guzzler to say the least. I am never in a hurry so 45-50 is good for me. My prop is worn ( so they told me when I took a 4 blade in to get a hub and they wanted 150 or so to work it, I did not have the $) MY trim/till is not real strong either on it, and the pisser is strong but thin stream, not a firehose for sure. Championman will help you with it in the Evinrude/Johnson section.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven H View Post
    I got that motor also and its not the fastest and is a gas guzzler to say the least. I am never in a hurry so 45-50 is good for me. My prop is worn ( so they told me when I took a 4 blade in to get a hub and they wanted 150 or so to work it, I did not have the $) MY trim/till is not real strong either on it, and the pisser is strong but thin stream, not a firehose for sure. Championman will help you with it in the Evinrude/Johnson section.
    She's definitely thirsty that's for sure! Championman is fantastic. He and a few others have helped with other questions I've had. This forum is the best. Everyone is always willing to help at all costs. Same thing with my tilt/trim unit. I guess i'm just questioning the prop to pad, and not wanting to lug the motor by only turning 4800 RPM WOT. I may post in the Evinrude/ Johnson section also... Thanks!
    2000 Ranger R93VS
    2003 Mercury Optimax

4. Member
    You can come up to at least
    3 1/2" p to p. I ran a FX hull with the same motor, 8" j.p, @ 3" p to p with the top pick up hole filled and kept good w.p. if you can get a worked raker, it would help a lot,.Those Skeeters will take all the bow lift you can give em'!��
    I wouldn't turn it over 5700 much if there's a piston issue
    Those X-flow piston are slugs!

5. Member
    Raise it a 1/4" at a time until you gain rpm's but not speed, lose water pressure or bow lift then drop it 1/4" and run it. You can block the upper holes so it can run higher but I wouldn't turn it over 5500.