Emergency Boarding Ladder and Talons

Posted this on the Skeeter owner's page and thought I'd try here as well.

I was just informed that the emergency boarding ladder on my new 2018 Skeeter ZX 225 will have to be removed to accommodate the installation of the Talons.
    How are others getting around this issue? Is there some sort of adapter that I can purchase? I would hate to not have some type of ladder in case of emergency.

2. Banned
    Excellent question.
    I am very interested in seeing the pictures of how folks have the talons and the emergency boarding ladder installed

3. Member
    I'm not sure what brand you have but I've seen some that will bolt to the talon bracket. Might have to drill an extra hole in the ladder bracket or something, I'm not really sure

4. Member
    My Talons on my new Z522D block the OEM ladder from extending. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to do anything different or not. Rather than remove the OEM ladder, I may just go "old school" and use the engine trim to lift me to the Talon brackets......not sure yet.

M

I would think if someone was using the universal Talon mounts that the ladder would not have to be removed to mount a Talon. The universal mount has slots that allow you several degrees of movement so you can get the best desired angle. When mounting I could see access to the ladder being limited or possibly blocked but I see no reason why you would have to remove the ladder to mount a Talon. If ladder access is limited or blocked you can still enter your boat. I have never had a ladder on my boat but I do have two Talons. One day mid summer I took a swim. When getting back in I put my a foot on the cavitation, grabbed the motor with one arm and pushed the trim up button on the side of my motor with my free hand. Once I was up out of the water I stepped onto my Talon mount and then I stepped onto the back deck. The only danger I saw was I would not want to do this without shoes on. If your foot slipped off the cavitation plate the prop could cut it if you were barefoot. I am sure using a ladder would be easier but I have never had a ladder so I do not have that option but you can get back into your boat without a boarding ladder. Using the big motor to trim your body up is the best option.

6. Member
    Yes, it will need to be removed. The Skeeter ladder uses the side plate and holding bolts of the jackplate to secure it. These are the same bolts and area that the Talon bracket need to be installed.

My Z7s ladder was too short anyway to use it only extended about 4"in the water I've always used the motor