Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which lake in Central or South Florida should I move to?

I am currently scouting out places to possible purchase a home on a lake in the Central Florida area. I have been looking around the Harris and Kissimmee Chain area and possibly Okeechobee. I would likely only be there from around November to April or May at which time I am planning to return to my cabin on the TN river for summertime ledge fishing. Here is some of what I think I am looking for: quality bass fishing in the winter time, not stuck in the middle of big city hustle and crowds, close enough to town for the wife to feel like she isnt stuck in the middle of nowhere (she likes the beach and would likely enjoy working part time at Disney, she does like to fish but not every day, not sure she would enjoy Okeechobee due to being so remote), a lake that is not crowded every single day would be nice. Thanks for all the input

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Stick around the Harris or Kissimmee area, if she wants to work PT at mouse town. Closest beach will be Cocoa Beach. Too long of a commute from Okee to work at Disney.

Manatee Mauler in 3, 2, 1..............

In reality it all depends on you budget.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

4. Member
    Look at Sebring

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    Manatee Mauler in 3, 2, 1...............
    was thinking the same thing!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

6. Member
    Lemme see ... you want a midget that can reach the top shelves.

Florida without hustle/bustle = Maybe 9-10 counties nowadays.
    Near Disney, shopping and/or beaches = Extra double scoop of people/traffic.
    We are the 3rd most populated US state. Yet 26th in total land mass.

We had 3M people in the entire state as a kid, 23M currently.
    Best of all, we are adding about 1.25M per year at the existing pace.
    That’s one hundred thousand new residents per month.
    100k is the same as three times the current Hardin County population.

Florida is NOT a state to ‘get away’ from people. It’s way past over here.
    And bring $$$$ housing has skyrocketed in the last couple of years.
    Be extra certain to check crime statistics, commute times, etc. yourself.

Above is the hard core truth. Just some information for you to digest.
    Manatee Mauler will be along to help you choose a suitable location.

Good luck--Your too late!!

8. Member
    Tampa Jim is correct. The staggering numbers that are moving here to stay, plus 100 times more tourist from around the world. All I can say is "WOW!!!!!" the roads are very crowded. The state will be concrete and asphalt from Georgia and Alabama to Key West in the 25 years. But, what the heck, one more family want hurt at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    I am currently scouting out places to possible purchase a home on a lake in the Central Florida area. I have been looking around the Harris and Kissimmee Chain area and possibly Okeechobee. I would likely only be there from around November to April or May at which time I am planning to return to my cabin on the TN river for summertime ledge fishing. Here is some of what I think I am looking for: quality bass fishing in the winter time, not stuck in the middle of big city hustle and crowds, close enough to town for the wife to feel like she isnt stuck in the middle of nowhere. (she likes the beach and would likely enjoy working part time at Disney, she does like to fish but not every day, not sure she would enjoy Okeechobee due to being so remote), a lake that is not crowded every single day would be nice. Thanks for all the input
    When you find these let me know, cause i want to move there also!

And...Okeechobee is not a remote location. Maybe 20 years ago, but not anymore.

Good luck on your search.
    Last edited by cwilt; 03-19-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

10. Banned
    Johns Lake,close to the Rats house , between Harris and Kissimee,some of the houses look like tropical resorts or hospitals,others are 4,000 square feet of cementuis coated (too thin to be called stucco) look alike,trac homes. Most residents have those boats with 6' gunnels that leave a 4' wake. Clermont chain is getting the same way,they closed the only good ramp to make some kind of facility for the marathoners or something,lots of ugly ,plain looking but expensive homes popping up. I will not go to Johns lake again,Memorial day will be just plain stupid there.

11. Member
    Sounds like I will come visit for a while around Harris and Kissimmee and see for myself since my wife wants to be near a beach. The crowds around town dont bother me as much as the crowds on the lake.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    Sounds like I will come visit for a while around Harris and Kissimmee and see for myself since my wife wants to be near a beach. The crowds around town dont bother me as much as the crowds on the lake.
    Okeechobee is getting a Bass Pro Shops resort.
    Kissimmee Chain is getting a Guy Harvey resort.
    Harris Chain doesn't have room for one.

Honestly, we are full up. Actually way past full.
    It's not a ploy to keep you cold in the winter.
    We are looking at north Vermont/Maine as home.
    And 24/7/365 to boot, it's that bad.

You really should consider Tennessee, it's lovely.

13. Member
    I honestly wanted to move to central Florida But I just spent a week in the Kissimmee area nope way to many people and traffic for us. We're going to find another warm place to retire we have a while anyway.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

14. Member
    I am not trying to sway you away, just telling the truth.

Moved to Deltona (half way between Orlando and Daytona Beach on I-4) in 2000 for Work and Family. I worked in Sanford. I left at 5:30 to get on I-4 and it was 2-lanes each way, and I really didn't need to check for traffic as it was me and the same 10-15 cars each morning. Traffic coming home was easy, just before the 3:00 Rush Hour. Deltona was a mostly Single Family Home small city.

Forward 18 years.

I-4 is 3 lanes each way and at 5:30 am you better be watching as all 3 lanes are filled. Wrecks almost every morning. Afternoon rush hour lasts from about 2:00 until 8-9:00.
    Deltona is now the largest city in Volusia County.

Crime was: Orlando someone was killed once a week, now several a day. Deltona never to once a week.

Waterways are crazy. Do Not get on the St Johns River from Sanford to Astor on Sunday. Period.

You can't go to any lake and not find plenty of people no matter what day it is.

Hate to say it but at some point we will probably move somewhere, as it is getting way to bad here now.

15. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Fellsmere area.. 20 mins from the Stick Marsh, 20 mins from the Atlantic Ocean.

16. Tony C
    Okeechobee city is small enough but big enough to have what you need. North end of the lake.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

Knowing what I know now--I wish I never moved here!!

18. Member
    Leesburg, Tavares, Eustis or Mt Dora. You would be minutes from the Harris Chain. 45 minutes to an hour from Disney. Less then an hour to Orlando and 1.15 to Tampa

19. Member
    Move to east Texas but north of Houston - less congestion and better fishing.

20. Member
    Look in Eustis, Tavares and Mount Dora. Lots of clean and clear private lakes around here with nice houses on them and some property. Most have a single private access ramp. If you go that route, you will also be 10-15 minutes from any Harris chain ramp, 45minutes -1hr from lake Toho, Kissimmee an additional 25 minutes, st johns, george and monroe like 30-45 away. I live in Mt Dora and love it. Have a key to a private lake that is crystal clear and has nice bass. 3 harris ramps are 15 minutes away too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast