Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Lemme see ... you want a midget that can reach the top shelves.

Florida without hustle/bustle = Maybe 9-10 counties nowadays.
    Near Disney, shopping and/or beaches = Extra double scoop of people/traffic.
    We are the 3rd most populated US state. Yet 26th in total land mass.

We had 3M people in the entire state as a kid, 23M currently.
    Best of all, we are adding about 1.25M per year at the existing pace.
    That’s one hundred thousand new residents per month.
    100k is the same as three times the current Hardin County population.

Florida is NOT a state to ‘get away’ from people. It’s way past over here.
    And bring $$$$ housing has skyrocketed in the last couple of years.
    Be extra certain to check crime statistics, commute times, etc. yourself.

Above is the hard core truth. Just some information for you to digest.
    Manatee Mauler will be along to help you choose a suitable location.
    It's all relative. I have family in South Florida, so I visit often. Is it busy and sometimes crowded, yes but not compared to California. The skyrocketing housing prices don't seem that way when a 1200 sq ft house here is going a million plus. There is so much more fishable water in both salt and freshwater compared to here.
    Depending on where you're coming from Florida really can be cheaper and less crowded.

Research past years of Hurricane Hits and where, don't buy or build there or on the sand beach, and Guaranteed come summer, just walking around a Truck, your going to SWEAT! And it rains a lot.. I seen that daily crap years ago in Winter Garden Fl. lolo.. and there isn't much in that lil town. Spent some time many years ago Panama City Fla, due to Tyndall AFB, but back then wasn't too bad,, But haven't been there in 35 yrs. Used to like fishing off docks and piers.. And just about everybody , that stays out doors has lighter circles around eyes from wearing these>

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    I am currently scouting out places to possible purchase a home on a lake in the Central Florida area. I have been looking around the Harris and Kissimmee Chain area and possibly Okeechobee. I would likely only be there from around November to April or May at which time I am planning to return to my cabin on the TN river for summertime ledge fishing. Here is some of what I think I am looking for: quality bass fishing in the winter time, not stuck in the middle of big city hustle and crowds, close enough to town for the wife to feel like she isnt stuck in the middle of nowhere (she likes the beach and would likely enjoy working part time at Disney, she does like to fish but not every day, not sure she would enjoy Okeechobee due to being so remote), a lake that is not crowded every single day would be nice. Thanks for all the input
    How about none of the above and just stay where your at or go some wheres else! What once made Florida attractive will be its own demise. More people equates to natural resources getting abused and diminished....that means fishing as well. There is only so much, land , boat ramps and available space. Sewage plants are already at max capacity. Rain run off from paved roads pollutes our waters and ground seepage that replenishes our aquafer is being reduced day by day due to new construction for folks like you wanting to move here. So please, don't add to the problem.

What your asking for no longer exists in Florida because of exactly what your wanting to do. Its a shame to see how the quality of life has been reduced for people that were born and raised here because of individuals using our state as a retirement home or "winter haven".
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 03-22-2018 at 11:38 AM.

4. Member
    I believe you could be a spokesman for Florida Tourism

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jcyoung517 View Post
    I believe you could be a spokesman for Florida Tourism

SIGN ME UP! I'd rather have great fishing rather then a land of NORTHERNS BUYING UP ALL THE PROPERTY CREATING TRAFFIC JAMS AND INCREAESD BENT ROD FISHERMAN!
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 03-22-2018 at 03:48 PM.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    How about none of the above and just stay where your at or go some wheres else! What once made Florida attractive will be its own demise. More people equates to natural resources getting abused and diminished....that means fishing as well. There is only so much, land , boat ramps and available space. Sewage plants are already at max capacity. Rain run off from paved roads pollutes our waters and ground seepage that replenishes our aquafer is being reduced day by day due to new construction for folks like you wanting to move here. So please, don't add to the problem.

What your asking for no longer exists in Florida because of exactly what your wanting to do. Its a shame to see how the quality of life has been reduced for people that were born and raised here because of individuals using our state as a retirement home or "winter haven".
    Have to agree with MM. I was born and raised here and it has steadily gotten worse.

7. Member
    Lots of big lakes, many times with few boats (spring and weekends excluded) in the Lake Wales area. Easy trip across 60 east to Vero.

It's not really fair to compare Florida during Jan-March to other times of the year. Traffic drops quite a bit once spring training and spring break are over and the snowbirds head back north. Sure, its busier than it used to be but you can be one of about 3-4 boats on many 5000 acre plus lakes most weekdays of the year (again spring excluded). I've been on Kissimmee late afternoons during summer and fall during the work week when it felt for sure I was the only boat out there, or at a minimum never saw another boat. WalknWater, Pierce, etc, etc. Plenty of great options in SE Polk County.
    Current: 2014 Sportsman Masters 207/150 Yamaha
    9 previous Rangers

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flranger View Post
    Lots of big lakes, many times with few boats (spring and weekends excluded) in the Lake Wales area. Easy trip across 60 east to Vero.

It's not really fair to compare Florida during Jan-March to other times of the year. Traffic drops quite a bit once spring training and spring break are over and the snowbirds head back north. Sure, its busier than it used to be but you can be one of about 3-4 boats on many 5000 acre plus lakes most weekdays of the year (again spring excluded). I've been on Kissimmee late afternoons during summer and fall during the work week when it felt for sure I was the only boat out there, or at a minimum never saw another boat. WalknWater, Pierce, etc, etc. Plenty of great options in SE Polk County.
    This ^^

9. Member
    Everyplace is busier than it used to be..........

10. Member

So you think that everyone should have to stay in the state they were born and raised in? People should freeze to death up North so you have better fishing?

11. Member
    I'm in the mountains of East Tennessee and our problem is all of the cars with Florida tags that don't know how to drive on narrow twisting roads every summer. You might get invaded every winter but everybody comes here in the summer for the cooler temps and low humidity.

If you move to Florida you will regret it--I do!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbasskicker View Post
    I'm in the mountains of East Tennessee and our problem is all of the cars with Florida tags that don't know how to drive on narrow twisting roads every summer. You might get invaded every winter but everybody comes here in the summer for the cooler temps and low humidity.
    I will make you a deal, I will not visit Tennessee if you don't visit Florida.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    So you think that everyone should have to stay in the state they were born and raised in? People should freeze to death up North so you have better fishing?
    The problem is that Florida is slowly becoming what everyone is trying to get away from - a congested concrete jungle. Between the hurricanes, the vegetation spraying, high humidity, and congestion, Florida is definitely not paradise. If its good bass fishing you want, move to east Texas. Ours is in a down cycle.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    I will make you a deal, I will not visit Tennessee if you don't visit Florida.
    To late, I've already been there. My father in law bought a place in Inverness last year and he's been there since Christmas and is coming home in April. I came down with him for a week over Thanksgiving and helped him fix a few things. For me the best thing about the trip was I got to visit the birth place of my Gambler You don't have to worry about me though because I'm not going to drive 10 or 12 hours one way just to go fishing.

16. Member
    I am a several generation Floridian and left Florida 34 years ago because my dad got sick of the traffic and yankees. There is not a winter that has gone by that I don't miss Florida. I really miss the Florida that I grew up in. I have gone back to fish for a week the past several years, and visit my family in Plant City also. The tourists and snow birds have literally raped Florida. It makes me sick to see some of the changes that has happened.

17. Tony C
    Florida sucks, don't move there. Go north, all the dumb ass Yankees are in Florida now.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post

STAY IN CALIFORINIA WITH YOUR LIBERAL EPA LAWS. AND YA YOUR DAMN RIGHT, LEARN TO LOVE WHAT THE COUNTRY YOU GREW UP IN PROVIDED FOR YOU! DONT MOVE IN MASSES AND RUIN IT FOR US!
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 03-26-2018 at 02:13 PM.

19. Member
    ^^ WOW !!

20. Member
    STAY IN CALIFORINIA WITH YOUR LIBERAL EPA LAWS. AND YA YOUR DAMN RIGHT, LEARN TO LOVE WHAT THE COUNTRY YOU GREW UP IN PROVIDED FOR YOU! DONT MOVE IN MASSES AND RUIN IT FOR US!
    Lol, I can't wait to move to Florida for my retirement. Maybe we could be neighbors!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast