Minn Kota / Internal Bonding Wire

The owners manual on my new PD mentions that " some alternators do not account for the internal bonding wire". The manual makes reference that this wire can be damaged by the alternator and is not covered by warranty.

So my question is - how do I know if I am doing something wrong to damage this wire? When fishing I start my gas motor, then I switch my Perko switch to all ( 2 X 12V batteries ) while I cruise to my fishing hole. The PD is all plugged in and ready to go when I leave the dock.

Thanks, Dodger123

2. Member
    Which PD do you have? How many batteries are you running?
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    I have a 55/lb thrust on the 48" shaft. The PD has 1 X 12V AGM battery the Merc 25/HP has 1 starting AGM. Both batteries are connected with a Perko switch, I like to charge both when cruising on the water.

4. Member
    Sorry - 2018 model year

5. Member
    You're cutting yourself off. The 25hp outboard doesn't have a large enough alternator charge both batteries while running. Best that could happen is topping off the trollingmotor battery but that could cause eventual damage to the outboard alternator on trying to charge in a "full charge" state. Advice from here is to charge the trolling motor battery at home on a separate charger and let the outboard take care of it's own battery.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Thanks for the info John. I leave the house with the batteries charged. Its that when on the lake I use the "charge all" to top up when cruising. Will this cause an issue with the internal bonding wire?

7. Member
    Probably not, I would be more worried about damaging the alternator/charge circuit on the 25hp Mercury.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Thanks for the advice.

9. Member
    John, a further similar question for you or any one else out there... I'm using a Minn Kota 2018 PD 70, 24 volt. I just purchased a Trollbridge 12x24. It allows the batteries to run the trolling motor in series and charge in parallel after the starting battery has reached 13 volts. Charging is from a Merc 50 2 stroke. I am also worried about the possibility of alternator/charge circuit (after reading this post). Twice a year I go off grid just trying to keep charged without having to take the batts out to recharge with the generator. Thanks for any help !

10. Member
    You would have to see what the max output of your alternator is. I'm guessing it's not enough to charge three batteries without possible damage to the regulator/rectifier.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]