Thread: Johnny Maxwell

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Johnny Maxwell

Johnny- can you post some pictures of your Ulterra? Maybe close up of mount and stowed position?

Thanks bud!!!
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MET View Post
    Johnny- can you post some pictures of your Ulterra? Maybe close up of mount and stowed position?

Thanks bud!!!
    I have some in my phone and will try to post them. I haven't done much posting on here so if I have any issues I'll send you a PM so I can get your phone to text them. But first I will try posting here. BTW, I spoke to Joe Lee this weekend after Seth, his son, fished a high school tourney on Lay and it was the first time for Joe to try out his Ulterra. He is in love. The stow and go is so handy and those of us with them are pretty happy campers.

3. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    Hopefully the pictures I put up will help you or answer some questions about your mount. Excuse the messy garage as its is new and not finished yet.

Could you post some pictures of the foot pedal? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Hopefully the pictures I put up will help you or answer some questions about your mount. Excuse the messy garage as its is new and not finished yet.
    Thanks Johnny- does it bounce around when running? Looks like it would be flimsy in the stowed position?

Thanks for the pics!

7. Member
    It is solid as you could ask for. Doesn’t bounce around anymore than any other. I know the mount may not look like it but I’ve run in some big water at 83 mph and it was fine as frog hair. I don’t have any good pictures of the foot pedal. What I have is not very detailed at all.

It is solid as you could ask for. Doesn’t bounce around anymore than any other. I know the mount may not look like it but I’ve run in some big water at 83 mph and it was fine as frog hair. I don’t have any good pictures of the foot pedal. What I have is not very detailed at all.
    The pedal doesn’t fit in the recess does it? Maybe Allison made the newer boats with a larger recess? Mine is a 2014. Yours is new isn’t it?
    Thanks again Johnny!

9. Member
    The pedal doesn’t fit down in the recess like some would like. The remote control is growing on me so quick that I doubt I’ll care pretty soon about the foot pedal. Mine is a 2018 so the recess is probably different than your 2014. But I could be wrong.

10. Member
    Double post.

11. Member
    When we tested Johnny's boat out in Texas, the water was pretty rough. I'd seen that style trolling motor mount on pontoons but never a bass boat. Honestly I expected to see it shaking around a lot in that water, much to my surprise it was rock solid.

Johnny Johnson

12. Member
    As Johnny said, I used mine for the first time this weekend Friday and Saturday. It is such a cool piece of technology. Yes it does have a lot of moving parts and yes it may fail at any time but it is one convenient piece of machinery.

I mounted mine on the Minn Kota MKA-51 quick release bracket & it's solid as a rock.

I thought I would hate the foot pedal because I tried one on a bay boat I had, but I did not use it an hour before I realized I liked it better than a cable steer hands down. It's all personal preference but for me to set the speed and hit continuous, then just bump the steer buttons occasionally was much easier than keeping my foot on the pedal - I never expected this but it is for me. And the remote, well that's just a cool deal all the way around.

One example, we were fishing some pretty stout current, so I would idle up to the place we wanted to fish, deploy the ulterra with the remote from my seat, hit spot lock, then shut the big motor off and get up to fish.

Another example, sit down in seat with the troller deployed, use the remote to take the boat out toward deeper water with the mercury trimmed up, then trim down, start engine, stow the ulterra with the remote from the seat, put merc in gear and go.

Mine did not bounce hardly any even at blast off in all the rough water and I was boat 172 so it was cut up.

Again, if it fails, yes I'll be aggravated but it is a super neat tool on the boat. I couldn't be happier so far.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

I was just wonder if the foot pedal looked and worked like a standard cable driven foot pedal.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    I was just wonder if the foot pedal looked and worked like a standard cable driven foot pedal.
    It looks like a standard pedal and you rock it back and forth to steer just like a cable foot pedal. The only difference that matters is there is no heavy feeling or push back from the cable. That takes some getting used to for me since I, like most guys, have so many years of experience “learning” by 6th sense what position the trolling motor foot is in based on the position the tilt is in on the pedal. But the pro’s big time outweigh any cons.

15. Member
    Here you go.

16. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Is your boat new Johnny?? Reason I ask is I thought the 2017's had the new footwell to fit an ulterra and an ultrex
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

17. Member
    The Ulterra pedal is HUGE....width wise.. thought the new boat recessed are a was for the Ultrex pedal. The Ulterra pedal is also not tall...
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

18. Member
    Johnny’s looks perfect. The pedal is short & wide, if it’s down in the bottom of the recess it will create the opppsite issue of having a tall pedal on the deck. After using mine for 2days I don’t think it needs recessing at all but if any, only about 2”.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Is your boat new Johnny?? Reason I ask is I thought the 2017's had the new footwell to fit an ulterra and an ultrex
    Yes its a 2018 year model. You can tell there is an adapter plate beneath my foot pedal to mount to. It has the elevation about right when you are standing. Like Joe said, it isn't too tall and not too low. Either one and you'd have back or hip issues at days end.

Yes its a 2018 year model. You can tell there is an adapter plate beneath my foot pedal to mount to. It has the elevation about right when you are standing. Like Joe said, it isn't too tall and not too low. Either one and you'd have back or hip issues at days end.
    Johnny- did you make that adapter plate or did Allison?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast