Thread: Johnny Maxwell

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MET View Post
    Johnny- did you make that adapter plate or did Allison?
    It came with the boat so I am not sure if it is from Allison or not. It looks to be a perfect fit which leads me to think it is from Allison though.

That Ulterra aint in the budget but, the Terrova is. Anybody know the difference in the 2 other than the auto deploy and stow?

Nothing besides the auto deploy. Just lighter and smaller wind profile.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

4. Member
    The Ulterra has trim as well. I have found the trim to come in pretty handy. When you have to move in to shallow water to get a lure loose or just to go shallow period, it is nice to hit the trim.

I hope mine arrives today! Evinrude troller bit the dust after 15+ years of service. I only did the 24v and also the quick release plate to make things interesting.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

6. Member
    I installed my ulterra on the MKA-51 quick disconnect mount. It’s rock solid.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

7. Member
    I'd like to see the quick disconnect mount to see how it looks on a boat. I'm sure it looks good. I'm just curious about how it locks down.

8. Member
    I’ll take some good pics to post tonight.

My troller was a no show today so it will be next week.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Here is my bracket. I trimmed it down to not stick out when the troller isn't on. When I first got the boat the troller was angled slightly to not take up as much deck room. I turned it straight later as I like staight lines. The bracket in the first photo was turned slightly in looked bad to me when the troller was off.

Second photo has 2nd bow depth finder attached to the troller plate. When the troller was off the depth finder came with. Quick change for speed. LOL....
    I removed that and attached the depth finder to the deck. I can't remember why, I think it was to hide it better from the wind. I turn that one down when I run and have big digits on for speed. That way I can see how fast I'm running without having to look down. The last photo shows the current setup.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by River Rocket; 03-23-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

11. Member
    Geoff the way you did the cut on your bracket was a great idea. It looks great.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Geoff the way you did the cut on your bracket was a great idea. It looks great.
    I agree, I was planning to cut mine as well, the mount is different but same principle.

Thanks Johnny. I removed every piece of non-essential metal from it. It looks like Swiss cheese now. Don't give me a saw near any boat......
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

14. Member

The pictures are not great. I can take some more tomorrow if anyone is interested in seeing the bottom plate.

This plate (MKA-51) has 2 positions. The position in the picture is the "ready to use" position. It can also be moved 6" toward the deck for trailering but honestly it doesn't need it. It's rock solid.

I drilled the bottom plate to match the motor guide holes that were already in my boat. It has 5 bolts in the bottom plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the idea of sliding it in 6" for the cover. That is the issue with these big trollers. The cover doesn't fit over them. I pushed mine back so when deployed the shaft is 1/2" away from the rub rail. That helped the cover fitment, but It's not perfect. I would never tow with the cover on and the troller as a result.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

16. Member
    In full disclosure, the bracket on my boat will not "slide" back 6" as designed because it hits the raised lip on the starboard side gunnel. This is because I did not want to drill new holes in the boat and I chose to drill the disconnect plate to match the Motor Guide holes already in my boat. If it was being installed on a new boat or if someone didn't mind drilling new holes in their boat , there is plenty of room to move it toward the center of the boat enough that it would slide back 6" as designed.

The bracket releases to the side instead of straight up.

With that said, it's very easy to simply lift mine up and move it back 6" instead of sliding it. It still locks in the retracted position I just have to lift it instead of sliding it.

I've only used it last weekend (Friday and Saturday) but it worked great and as I've already said, it is solid. We were out of town for my son's high school tournament so it was very handy to pull it off at the hotel and lock it in my truck bed cover overnight.

It also has an opening on the rear port side corner to hang a lock in as well.

Are you guys happy with the speed of the rotation provided by the electric steering motor? I guess that's always made me shy away from the Terrova. I got to make a decision here. I could get Battle Born lithium batteries that would help me shed 70 pounds of battery weight or a Terrova which would give me spot lock to fish offshore shell bars and drops. Plus I am sure a Terrova 45" shaft 24 volt has to be significantly lighter than a 54" shaft 24 volt Fourtrex.

18. Member
    I can only speak for me but I have not had a single issue with the speed of the rotation. We fished behind logan martin dam running 4 generators and the motor worked perfect and I never felt like it was too slow to respond.

I have read that some people think it's too slow but it hasn't seemed that way to me yet. I have fished three days with it so far.

19. BBC SPONSOR
    I have a new Ulterra sitting here in the shop to install on a customers 2017 XB21. I ordered a mounting plate for the troller and a recess kit for the foot pedal from Allison. The recess was made bigger on the late 2017 models and all 2018+ models.

I have everything to do the install except for the items from Allison, i suspect I will see them by Tuesday. But my customer has a tournament this coming weekend and I don't not want to make any changes until after the tournament.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

20. Member
    The speed of rotation on the head has not concerned me yet either. I don’t really think it will be an issue from what I have seen from mine so far.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast