2013 Mercury Pro XS 250 intermittent power issue (update-fixed issue)

I have a 2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS with about 550 hours on it. While fishing this last weekend I made a 15-minute run to a spot motor ran fine. Fish that spot for 10 minutes went to run to another spot and upon acceleration the motor feels like it loses all power or a cylinder and won't hardly get on pad. I got it on pad and would only run 4300 RPMs. Made it to next spot fish for 30 minutes started it up and it ran fine. It's done this before but it's been a year ago. Not sure if I have a coil or fuel issue. No alarms good water pressure and run 100% gasoline all the time. It will be idling fine and when I wot trim all the way down to take off it will build to about 3,000 RPMs then boom lose power and not want to get on pad. I was in a boat in the past that lost a coil and it felt similar to this but it was not intermittent like mine is that's what has me confused.
    Last edited by basshnter; 04-06-2018 at 08:47 PM.

I have a 115 Pro XS and had the same thing happen the first year I had the boat. One run it would be fine and another it would barely get on plane. It was driving me crazy and I thought it was a fuel issue. It was actually a bad coil. It was a really easy fix on mine. I pulled them out and brought them to a Merc dealer to test. One tested bad. And since my motor was still under warranty they swapped it out. The tech that worked on it said sometimes you just get a bad one from the get go. That was six years ago and it's been fine since.

3. Member
    Perform a spark test as the problem is occurring.

4. Member
    The issue seems to only show up after the engine gets good in warm. I'm not sure how to test it without it actually occurring. It's very intermittent.

5. Member
    You will have to do on the water testing then.

6. Member
    ^^^^^ carry timming light clip on each plug wire observe flash or not
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Good idea. I'll see if I can find one.

Just pull your coils out and bring them in to be tested. I think that’s much easier than on the water testing. Mine was intermittent as well and every time I tried to do on water testing it ran fine. A Merc dealer can check them out faster than you can.

9. Member
    Had a similar problem and it was the MAP sensor.

10. Member
    Had a similar prob with my pro xs. Intermittently would run rough and hard to get on pad. Turned out to be coil. Hard to diag without scan tool. Good mechanic in shawnee at basscat dealer. Don't get in a hurry they our busy...

11. Member
    I wanted to post an update to my issue. I tested all 6 coils on the water one at a time and it never would run correctly. Ended being a shorter out plus wire. Was shorting out on a sensor in the head. 20180406_110531-756x1008.jpg20180406_110539-756x1008.jpg