225 Pro Xs Trim motor leaking!

I have a 2006 225 pro xs 1b362400 with 455 hrs on it. I live in NY so the boat has been sitting since late November. I went to storage the other day to check on my boat and i noticed a small pool of oragerish oil under the motor. It was a circle about the size of a pop can, and is definitely coming from the seal on the big shaft that runs the motor up and down. My question is has anyone replaced this at home before, and if so how big of a job is it. I cant seem to find any info on that job at all.

2. Member
    I removed entire T&T unit from my 2003 3L 200 EFI a couple years back. You will need rebuild kit and spanner tools and manual (I bought all from Don at Euro Marine). Not a big job, but you gotta lay everything out, match part-for-part (there are lots of O-rings that are similar in size), and be VERY CLEAN in the work area.

As mentioned. You can do it but need the RIGHT tools and a manual. If you are willing to invest in those, then have at it.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    So i have read through my manual several times and im still kind of confused!!! Do i need to take the entire tilt shaft off or can i pull the trilobe pin and just flop the unit down to pull the shaft? I assume i need to take the whole unit off, but then im confused about this alignment pin? Do i need to order one of those to? I am also confused on why the manual puts removal of memory piston after reassembly of tilt shaft? Do i not need to replace the memory piston? It also shows that you need a special tool for that to!!!! Don said all i needed was a spanner wrench, but it seems way more complicated than that.

Please help!!!!!! First BFL is in two weeks and since i live in NY there are no dealer up here that can help me for about a month

If it was me...

Make sure trim is full of fluid. Go ahead and use it.

Schedule service at a dealer and take it in when you can.

While its not hard to service, it takes tools and the right parts in the right place can make a big difference. Those O rings are very similar.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Member
    I’ve replaced all the seals in one of these. It was a fairly big job for me. But it is do able.