Tracker 190 TX and an Ultrex

I purchased a 24V 80lb Ultrex for my 2017 Tracker 190 TX. I removed the old motor (Edge 12 V 45 lb) and started the installation of the Ultrex this weekend. A couple of things I noticed:

1. Despite everything I've read to the contrary, the trolling motor wiring is 8 gauge and not 6 gauge. This should work according to Minn Kota's chart, but I thought the newer model Trackers were supposed to have 6 gauge trolling motor wiring.
    2. I could probably use the old motor bolt pattern, without having to drill new holes. However, this will only allow me to get four bolts on the motor, as the old motor had screws (and not bolts) going into the area closest the bow. I'm worried this won't be sufficient for the stronger motor.
    3. The area where the old motor was mounted seems significantly warped (i.e., not flat). In fact, the old motor was put on utilizing spacers under the four bolts farthest from the bow.

Anyone face these same issues?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coral Grimes View Post
    I purchased a 24V 80lb Ultrex for my 2017 Tracker 190 TX. I removed the old motor (Edge 12 V 45 lb) and started the installation of the Ultrex this weekend. A couple of things I noticed:

1. Despite everything I've read to the contrary, the trolling motor wiring is 8 gauge and not 6 gauge. This should work according to Minn Kota's chart, but I thought the newer model Trackers were supposed to have 6 gauge trolling motor wiring.
    2. I could probably use the old motor bolt pattern, without having to drill new holes. However, this will only allow me to get four bolts on the motor, as the old motor had screws (and not bolts) going into the area closest the bow. I'm worried this won't be sufficient for the stronger motor.
    3. The area where the old motor was mounted seems significantly warped (i.e., not flat). In fact, the old motor was put on utilizing spacers under the four bolts farthest from the bow.

Anyone face these same issues?
    I think they're all like that. I have a Fortrex on mine that my dealer moved from my older boat. If you're concerned, drill the remaining holes to install. I am curious about the 6 vs 8 gauge. I looked at it recently and didn't have a 6ga wire for reference. Did you measure it?
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

3. Banned
    The Ultrex was mounted in place of the Edge on mine. There are 4 bolts through in the center and 2 lag screws up front. The deck is kinda warped, so the rubber spacers are there. I've had no issues.

4. Member
    When I recently bought my 190 TX, during the walk through, I asked to speak with their Tracker mechanic who upgrades trolling motors for new boats. He said all they are doing is upgrading the breaker to 60 amps. Never had issues. I even think my front TM plug is already wired for a 24V. The folks a Tracker were very surprised. I was asking what needed to be changed with the front plug wiring. After they looked at it they said it looked like Tracker started wiring the front TM plug for 24v from the factory. This may only apply to the 190 TX and not the 175 models

Before I get blasted.....I will be using the existing 8 ga wire when I upgrade the TM. I'll check it regularly to make sure it's not getting hot. I believe it will be fine as I don't foresee extended TM use at the highest speeds. In fact, until I upgrade, the existing 45 lb TM use may cause more wire heat than than a 24V since I will have to use it longer at higher levels of thrust on a single battery
    whatroads - A pun on the "information super highway"
    Tracker 190 TX
    90 hp Merc
    Fortrex 80 w/ 52" shaft

5. Member
    This is an old thread but I am wondering how the 8 gauge wire has held up for you using the Ultrex?

6. Member
    My 2006 has 8g and Im running a Terranova 24V 80# and left the old 40 amp breaker and to date have never tripped the breaker,
    2006 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX 115 Merc

7. Banned
    8 gauge on my tracker with 50 amp breaker and 75# 24v MG. No issues and i fish alot of electric only lakes where your on the motor dark to dark

Hey did your foot pedal fit in the recessed tray? I just put the new 24V Motorguide Pro Tour on my 2019 Tracker 195 and the pedal is too wide for the tray.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

9. Member
    I might would question putting a trolling motor that will end up costing you maybe $3000 on a older Tracker. Of course when you move on, you can swap it to another boat. Keep the old TM so you can swap it someday back to the Tracker.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.