Cranking Battery 2011 188VX

I am about to replace my cranking battery... it is in the back behind the oil tank (150 Merc) Guessing the oil tank has to be removed.....any advice or words of wisdom from experience?

2. Member
    My 188vx has very easy access to the battery. No need to remove anything.

3. Member
    You’ll likely have more trouble digging the battery out than with the oil tank. Tanks usually have enough extra hose to allow it to be moved.

4. Member
    Thanks, I wish mine had easy access J… it is on the starboard side… behind the oil tank. Mine clearly won’t fit over it… so the oil tank will have to come out.

5. Member
    I just did that with my 2009 188VX and its simple. On mine I just had to take a socket and undo the retaining bolt holding the oil tank in place. Unclip the electrical connector going to the oil tank. There is plenty of rubber hose going from the motor to the oil tank that you don't have to worry about that. lift the oil tank up and place it in the center section. You should have full access to the battery in the back now. Also a good time to clean out the area around the oil tank and around the plastic tank itself. Then just put it back in the opposite order you took it out. Really not a big deal to do.

HMMM, my 2010 188VX has the battery in front of the oil tank, It is a Yamaha, probably why. I fell for ya, sounds like a PITA.....

Spanky

7. Member
    Mine is merc… and I have added a remote fill for the oil tank…. So I think I may reversed it and put the oil tank in the back and have the battery in the front…. But yes… kinda feels like a PITA… but maybe I can do it once and be done!

8. Member
    Thanks.... I appreciate it.. and will clean it up when everything is out... may also reverse and put the oil tank in back ( I installed a remote oil fill kit) (Merc 150)... so I should not need to get to the oil container as frequently

9. Member
    I took the oil take out of my 188 with HPDI to upgrade to a group 31 battery which I also had to install a new tray for. Easy process and as stated will give you the opportunity to clean up that area as it gets pretty nasty over the years.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    I took the oil take out of my 188 with HPDI to upgrade to a group 31 battery which I also had to install a new tray for. Easy process and as stated will give you the opportunity to clean up that area as it gets pretty nasty over the years.
    Did you put the battery in the back...or move it to the front?

11. Member
    Back where it was, I don't have remote fill so I wanted it to where I could fill it up easier. No big deal to remove it when needed. P.S. I ordered the tray from Basscat as the mounting holes are inside the tray instead of outside so you get less floor space for the tray plus it's metal. On the TM batteries I went with the standard models as I bought two group 29 Exerstart Maxx from Walmart and didn't know I would need new trays so I just went to BPS 30 miles away and bought the same plastic ones with the mounting holes to the outside, had I been more prepared I would've ordered the BCB models for the TM batteries as well.

http://www.basscatstore.com/aluminumtraywithstrap.aspx
    Last edited by Cestratton; 03-25-2018 at 07:55 PM.

12. Member
    Thanks!!! I will order the new battery box for the Group 31 battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Back where it was, I don't have remote fill so I wanted it to where I could fill it up easier. No big deal to remove it when needed. P.S. I ordered the tray from Basscat as the mounting holes are inside the tray instead of outside so you get less floor space for the tray plus it's metal. On the TM batteries I went with the standard models as I bought two group 29 Exerstart Maxx from Walmart and didn't know I would need new trays so I just went to BPS 30 miles away and bought the same plastic ones with the mounting holes to the outside, had I been more prepared I would've ordered the BCB models for the TM batteries as well.

http://www.basscatstore.com/aluminumtraywithstrap.aspx