Need boat, motor, & jack plate help please

I have a 1997 Triton TR-21 with a 2000 225 Mercury Promax R motor w/ 25 pitch tempest prop, with 14" Rapid Jack Magnum Jack plate.

i bought this bought as it is set up now in Dec. 2017. when i got it, it struggled bad coming out the holes, took for ever and a day to get on plane but once it got on plane, i could trim it up and it got on the pad very good and ran 66 mph at 6,000RPM but chime walk just a little. so i thought maybe motor needed serviced so i took it to a marine mechanic and had the compression check, every cylinder was 135, had new plugs and coil packs changed, new fuel filter, new stater, new fuel lines all the way to the tank. The mechanic said i should easily be mid 70's and could run the R motor at 6500-6800 RPM. So got it back from the mechanic 2 weeks ago and the motor on the jack plate is all the way down as i bought it that way. I took it back out, still takes for ever getting out of the hole but once on plane it got on the pad and chime walked ALOT at 6800 RPM, 71MPH, still had a little throttle left. so then this past weekend, i played around with raising the motor on the jack plate, I raised it 1", took it out this past saturday and came out the hole somewhat better, still not what i'm looking for but once on the plane was flat and would not lift on the pad and at WOT 6500 at 67MPH. Sunday i went another 1" up on the jack plate to see what would happen. It got on plane a ton better like what i wanted but would not lift at all and way to flat and WOT was 6000 RPM at 62MPH. Can someone please help me with this problem??? Is the 14" jack plate too big, do i need a hydraulic jack plate, different prop..

I need help. Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Measure your prop-to-pad. It's going to need to probably be a lot higher than what you have it. Also, post this in the triton section

3. Member
    Careful when raising it you don't lose your water pressure.

4. Member
    I'd say first PTP measurements. Then look at or have prop checked if motor is running correctly. As mentioned. Post in Triton or Mercury forums and the experts will assist you. Read forum post rules though.

You may also need to drop in pitch from a 25 to a 23. That made a huge differance for me on one of my boats !! Was like adding a new motor on, lol !! Super hole shot, lost 3 MPH, no more chine walk.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    I believe 14" of offset is to much to effectively carry the bow. I'd check the triton set up page for guidance.

7. Member
    This, for sure.

8. Banned
    Tr21 will run best with a 3L motor. 2.5L like a pro max with SM gearcase is best suited for lighter boats. You can make it perform better by changing props, jackplate lenght and hight and in the end it still wont outrun a 3L on that boat. I would start with a 4 blade 23 or 24p and 6-8" jack plate.