2013 Yamaha SHO 250

My motor shut off while running 50 mph the other day. It didn't make any strange noises and no alarms. Voltage was good also. It wouldn't turn over. Fearing the worst I trolled back to the boat ramp and went home. Prop turned in nutrual and not in gear. Took the cover off and everything looked good. Oil was full nice color no metal shavings. Tried to start it again and no luck. It would just make a quick chunk noise as if it was going to start and that was it. Tried to turn the fly wheel several times and it wouldn't budge. Tried to start it again and it turned over and started right up. I shut it down quickly. What could be wrong? I dont think the motor is blown.

2. Member
    Check your lower unit for oil/metal shavings, that would be the first place I would start. My guess is no or low oil. Seized from heat then freed up when it cooled off. Post this in the regular forum and you will get more hits, or ask a mod to move it. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Member
    Could be your battery connection is loose

4. Member
    I agree on checking lower unit!! Mine done that same thing and next trip out I thought my motor locked up it died just like before but wouldn’t turn over the last time. Took to shop and lower unit locked up...luckily my extended warranty covered it!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley21SS View Post
    Could be your battery connection is loose
    If you can't turn the engine over by hand then the starter will not be able to either. Meaning something is siezed. If it will turn over by hand but not with the starter then check the electrical system. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.