Premium Plus vs red labeled 2 stroke oil

I dont have a serial number handy, but my dad has an 04 Xr6 and he has been running Quicksilver premium plus for years and then the other day he bought the red labeled quicksilver that just says 2 stroke oil to save a whopping $2. Should he run this or not? i have no clue why he would do that when the Plus has worked great for years.
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

2. Member
    If you look at the Quicksilver web site you will see it does meet all outboard warranty requirements. However, they do specifically say ideal for pre mix and smaller outboards. Short version is it is the bottom rung of Quicksilver oils. Personally if convenient, I would take it back and swap it. But, that is just me.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you can, I'd stick with the Premium Plus.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I agree with the premium plus but I wouldn't throw that gallon of oil away, it's not gonna hurt anything.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

5. Member
    Are take it back to store and said buy the wrong oil .