Thread: Top speed help

Top speed help

I have 95 Ranger r70 with a Merc 115. Manual 6” jack plate with a laser 2 13.5 inch 22p prop. Boat runs at 41 mph gps with 2 guys and full tourney load. Im pushing about 5200-5400 rpm. Holeshot is non existant seems like it takes awhile to get the ass out of the water. Ive had the motor tuned and timing adjusted.

My question is how do i get a bit more hole shot and speed. I dint need to do 70 mph but think this boat should perform a lttle better. And help or suggestions are welcomed.

2. Member
    What is the max rpm for that engine? You could drop down to a 21 Laser maybe.Usually those small diameter props need to be set about 4” under to get much bow lift and not porpoise.

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    If you prop for a better holeshot you usually loose top end speed. It is a trade off. (unless it has too much prop now) How much do you and your buddy weigh/how much stuff are you hauling? Speed may be ok based on the weight it is trying to push around. My R72 will run 50-52 with a tweaked 115 OMC and 22 Raker by myself and unloaded. Loaded mid 40's. May want to try a run unloaded and by yourself.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Mike Lamb
    My old vs170 with 115hp // summer full load (fuel also) and my buddy. 45mph all day.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

I currently have an 96 R70, with 98 115 Merc 4cylinder 2 stroke. I run a 22p Laser II, no jackplate yet but about to add one. Running by myself, I will get 48-50 gps depending on the amount of crap i have in the boat, fully loaded with 2 guys and full livewell, 46-47 gps. and I can hit full 5300 with either situation. I have a 24P Laser II that actually has more lift and no hole shot difference but suffers with another person.

Jigjunkie, how dinged up is your prop? My 22 last fall was so bad, I wasn't getting any lift, top speed was like 44 but could max RPMs without really trimming. What's your motor height to the pad? With the setup you stated, you should be getting a at least 3 to 4 mph especially with a jackplate. Question is how's your engine set with the jackplate since it's Manual. if it's not set right, you'll lose lift and hole shot.

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

6. Member
    According to Mercury rpm charts 4750-5250 rpm. Mechanic says run at 5500

7. Member
    Prop isnt dinged up at all. Local boat mechanic has been tryingto help but not sure if hes correct on direction to go. Ive raised jack plate and then he says need to prop up. All i read says go down on prop size. Im going to drop the jack plate down and go out alone.