2017 Mercury 300xs problem

2017 Mercury 300xs serial number 1E053228. Started my motor yesterday and I had an alarm go off but nothing showed on my Mercury monitor. I was fishing a tournament so I proceeded to go fishing. Throughout the day it happened a few times. The last time I took off it would get over 5k rpms . Anyone have any idea what it might be? I ran my oil really low in my onboard oil tank two weeks ago before refilling it. Can this be a issue?

2. Member
    Boats are the same as cars......you have to read the fault to know why the motor is alarming.

Click on this >>>> "My warning horn went "Beep".... or "Beep Beep Beep Beep""

Anything else is just a guess. The motor is a 2017 have the issue documented by the Dealer.

3. Member
    It could have

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Boats are the same as cars......you have to read the fault to know why the motor is alarming.

Click on this >>>> "My warning horn went "Beep".... or "Beep Beep Beep Beep""

Anything else is just a guess. The motor is a 2017 have the issue documented by the Dealer.
    ^^^^ Best advice.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Look at the tank under cowling. Could be low, which will limit rpms to 5k, then 2500 if you continue to run it. If there is air you need to pop the cap off while the motor is running to let it fill up. I did it once when I ran my 300xs out of oil on the onboard tank.
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

6. Member
    Agree with above. The tank could have a bad sensor which is not an uncommon occurrence unfortunately

7. Member
    Its all speculation till the faults are checked, just sayin.

8. Member
    The low oil resovoir won't show on mercury monitor unless you go in to view alarms. Mine did same thing. Alarm went off but no code on screen. Had to go on the gauge and view codes
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

9. Member
    Really depends on what "Mercury monitor" OP has, a lot of people have system monitors (which do not provide alarm text display) and call them Mercmonitors. As other's have said, best course of action is to do as recommended in the link Savage posted in reply #2.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Member
    Got my boat back yesterday. Mechanic said he had to Bleed the oil tank at the motor and also had trash stuck in the thermostat causing an alarm on the mercmoniter

11. Member
    2 separate faults, all the more reason to have the faults read.

12. Member
    glad you got it solved

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    2 separate faults, all the more reason to have the faults read.
    +100.

Definitely glad to hear you go it resolved.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor