Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of making the switch

I know there are tons of people that have similar threads and the results are always the same. It's always a fanboy chevy vs Ford debate. I'm hoping for something different.

I'm honestly thinking of making the switch to Yamaha. I'm a realist though and realize there is no perfect motor. I have read all of the opinions on positives of both. I'm not looking for the "I have a Yamaha and it's been great" or the "No problems with my mercury". What I'm hoping for is guys who have had both. I really would like to hear from the people who have had both and went back to the other because the grass wasn't greener type of deal. Those things tell me far more. Any input from guys who have had both engines?
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

2. Member
    if you have any dealers near you look at the Susuki
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

I have had several of both. The verado I am running now has been the best motor I have had.

They all make good motors and they are all expensive. Find one the has the best local service centers. Good luck
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

5. Member
    I had an SHO, and now I run Merc Optis. I did not find one better than the other. The only reason I went back to Mercury is because I have an excellent Merc mechanic who treats me very well and is much closer to home than the Yam service centre. My next motor will be one of the new Mercury four strokes, probably the 200.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    My Merc and SHO dealer is the same distance away but I am lined up for either I chose.

2 kinds of 2 strokes. those that have blown, and those about to.....
    I believe 4 strokes are a safer choice from catastrophic failure????
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

8. Member
    I have had both. The best thing about the SHO is how quiet it is and the fact I can run any gas in it any time. The similarities are well published and I don't think that you can go wrong with either. For my money I will keep buying SHO's until something better comes out.

9. Member
    I've had both and so far the yamaha has been way better for me. That's just for me though. A guy in our club bought a new skeeter last year and he's been thru a lower unit and I'm pretty sure he blew his up in the last tourney. Besides the brand debate, whatever you go with go fourstroke. I would run a merc again but it would be a fourstroke.

Jordan Lee seems pretty happy making the switch to Yamaha this year.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

I have had Merc. Suzuki and Yamaha.

The Suzuki's and the Yamaha have been flawless. The boat I had the (150hp) Suzuki on is now 20 years old--- as of last year the owner said it was still flawless. My Yamaha 225 VMax is 18 years old now--- Flawless, has never been in a shop. All of them are 2 strokes, my next one will be a 4 stroke ( I hope)

12. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    All the brands are very reliable. If I was going to switch, I'd want to make certain that I had a dealer who has a great reputation for good workmanship on whatever brand you choose. Also one thing to consider about a Yamaha, right now anyway, is the availability. They were very far behind on production recently.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Had Both of the one's you mention Plus about every other brand out there,, Had a SHO before this ProXS that i have now ,,,, between the two i would pick the SHO hands down,, Don't plan to ever own another Mercury unless it is a four stroke,,
    Last edited by River-Bandit; 03-19-2018 at 01:13 PM.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post

Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    You should at least check them out!!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

16. Member
    What is the performance like on the Suzuki and why is everyone looking hard at them now?

17. Banned
    I currently have a opti Pro xs and while it's been a good motor if I had a choice I would go 4 stroke but not merc or sho, I'd be going Suzuki for sure.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    What is the performance like on the Suzuki and why is everyone looking hard at them now?
    The performance is right up there with the merc and Yamaha in my opinion but the reliability is unreal. It's like a Honda with Pro xs performance. And that mat black finish is amazing. I'm willing to sacrifice a few mph for a motor that will last 2000 hrs without an issue. I like my merc but she not lasting 2000 hrs without an issue. Same for that sho. Now the standard Yamaha 4 stroke is a different story.

19. Member
    I had a 175 suszuki on my ranger Reata. Best motor ever in a 4s. Problem is their dealer network is small.

20. Member
    I am running the Suzuki 150ss and I am very satisfied. I would look hard at Suzuki!
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast