Trailor tire wear

I just noticed my trailor tires on my tandem are almost bald on my back axel and not so much on the front, is there something causing this, mabey my drop hitch is to high?

2. Member
    Could be that your hitch is too high, putting most of the load on the rear tires. Also, in sharp turns one set of tires almost has to scoot sideways as they don't steer. We have a tri-axle that wears the front set out doing this when loaded and turning sharp such as parking lots or tight areas.

3. Member
    hook the boat to the truck and find a level spot. measure from the ground to the top of the frame between the tires. Then go measure from the ground to the top of the coupler. On most trailers that is even with the top of the frame. Should be same height. That ensures the trailer is level, and loading the tires equally. Adjust drop height as needed to correct.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bukfevr View Post
    Could be that your hitch is too high, putting most of the load on the rear tires. Also, in sharp turns one set of tires almost has to scoot sideways as they don't steer. We have a tri-axle that wears the front set out doing this when loaded and turning sharp such as parking lots or tight areas.
    Both sets have to scoot at various times, so I doubt that would wear the tires on a single axle more than the other. I'd think the lighter axle would wear worse because it would probably be the one doing most of the sliding.

But my money would be on the idea that this is the brake axle and the brakes are sticking causing the wear.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​