488VS Upgrades/Updates

I recently moved back to my hometown, and my dad and I are looking at upgrading our 488VS. We like the Ranger so much I am selling my 2007 Skeeter ZX190. The Skeeter has been a great boat, but we both really like the Ranger. It is a 1995 488VS Comanche with a 2006 200hp Optimax.

I have already planned on adding a jackplate, Ulterra trolling motor, and new electronics at the helm and bow. It has a hot foot with foot trim, but I am thinking of adding a blinker trim. I really like the one on my Skeeter. It also has the flipping deck already on it. Are there any upgrades you feel are an absolute must? How about some luxury items down the road? Keep in mind the electronics and trolling motor are going to eat up a lot of the budget lol. Thanks!
    Last edited by syndrome_34; 03-18-2018 at 12:15 PM.

2. Member
    I have a 487VS and would love to put a livewell pump out system. Either the sackcaddy or a flowrite valve.

3. Member
    have the 487 with a 200 vmax ox66, 6 inch plate . very satisfied 64 on gps. think about the ultrex . had both and the ultrex gives me more control. pedal tray is nice also

Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    have the 487 with a 200 vmax ox66, 6 inch plate . very satisfied 64 on gps. think about the ultrex . had both and the ultrex gives me more control. pedal tray is nice also
    I am pretty torn between the Ulterra and the Ultrex. I really dig the idea of not having to lift the motor in and out of the water, but that seems to be the only advantage. I have a Terrova on my Skeeter so I am used to the all electric steering. I change my mind everyday haha

5. Member
    97 492 owned since 2000. 6 inch plate and New Etec 250ho. Motor Mate. Trim switch and hot foot. Ultrex, 3 lowrance Hds all ethernet together. Livewell pump out. Dual 12ft talons and added nav light from RMP also added led lights around tops of each talon. Added led lights to all compartments. Added front nav lights from blue water led. Upgraded live wells with flowright heads when pumpout added. New larger winch on trailer. Removed all the rivets from all compartment lids and went to 10-32 stainless bolts with lock nuts. Same on inner fender boards New charger for use with AMG batteries. Added second fuse panel for all the new items with dedicated wiring. Master on off switch with jump start. NEMA network with point 1 and Evinrude interface to HDS. And know the definition of BOAT. Bust out another thousand. Love the boat and plan on keeping a long long time.
    Last edited by Bronzeback; 03-21-2018 at 10:09 PM.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by syndrome_34 View Post
    I am pretty torn between the Ulterra and the Ultrex. I really dig the idea of not having to lift the motor in and out of the water, but that seems to be the only advantage. I have a Terrova on my Skeeter so I am used to the all electric steering. I change my mind everyday haha
    Friend of mine had the Ulterra, and the “self-lift” gave him fits. Quit working on him twice, out on the lake, due to different parts breaking. He now has an Ultrex, which with its lift assist is not difficult to pull up.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 03-24-2018 at 06:48 AM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Member
    Ultrex hands down. Second year on mine total game changer!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeback View Post
    97 492 owned since 2000. 6 inch plate and New Etec 250ho. Motor Mate. Trim switch and hot foot. Ultrex, 3 lowrance Hds all ethernet together. Livewell pump out. Dual 12ft talons and added nav light from RMP also added led lights around tops of each talon. Added led lights to all compartments. Added front nav lights from blue water led. Upgraded live wells with flowright heads when pumpout added. New larger winch on trailer. Removed all the rivets from all compartment lids and went to 10-32 stainless bolts with lock nuts. Same on inner fender boards New charger for use with AMG batteries. Added second fuse panel for all the new items with dedicated wiring. Master on off switch with jump start. NEMA network with point 1 and Evinrude interface to HDS. And know the definition of BOAT. Bust out another thousand. Love the boat and plan on keeping a long long time.
    Hey Bronzeback - I thought the max HP on that hull was 245? But seriously, the rig sounds awesome, would love to see pics. I have a 93 492VS and was specifically interested in the details of what you did in the livewells? I replaced the valves last season but still cant seem to get them to fill up all the way and keep from draining when on plane.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chadEddings View Post
    Hey Bronzeback - I thought the max HP on that hull was 245? But seriously, the rig sounds awesome, would love to see pics. I have a 93 492VS and was specifically interested in the details of what you did in the livewells? I replaced the valves last season but still cant seem to get them to fill up all the way and keep from draining when on plane.
    Same problem with my 96 491VS. Don't fish tourneys anymore much..so it hasn't been a priority. I love my VS and I can't see owning a newer one since this one has been so good.

I may have to look into the livewells. I don't tournament fish....yet, but I take an annual week long fishing trip to Lake of the Woods and we eat what we catch. Daily shore lunches and some dinners of walleye so I'll need to make sure they stay full of water. This will be the first year in the Ranger. The previous years have been in the Skeeter.

11. Member
    I don't want to steal the thread. The 97 492 is rated for 250hp. On the livewells I had the same problem getting them filled. I upgraded to new flowrite control valves 3 position and new flowriight heads and 750gph pumps and have no issues filling and holding the water in. I keep the valves flushed out if I ever seeing them leaking when pulling out in a tournament. Forgot one other accessory that helps on dark mornings or night and that's led back up lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bronzeback; 03-24-2018 at 10:03 PM.

12. Member
    Give the people at flowrite a call they will set you up. Great company to deal with. I've done several vs hulls with the same setups they've all worked great after changing everything.

13. Member
    Bronzeback would love to see a thread of all your upgrades