Thinking of switching to a Yak for the short term

Thanks for a great site here, this place has been a wealth of info for me when I first got into bass fishing! I am currently Active Duty serving on a Submarine that will deploy for 6 months or so later this year. The wife and I have decided that after this deployment (should be my last before retirement) that we will be buying a new multi species or something similar that I can still fish out of solo but is better for a family with kiddos. I think I am going to sell my current boat now (season just starting here in NE) which is in great condition but will go unused all year and buy a Yak to get me on the water the few times I i will be able to this season. I would like to keep it under $1000 dollars outfitted to where I can fish comfortably. I have never been in one before and was looking for advice on models, rigs and setups you guys use. I think a sit-in one is what I want after looking at some in the store.
    2009 Tracker PT 190 TX W/ Mercury 90 ELPTO & Minnkota Maxxum 80 TM

"Not for fame or reward, Not for place or for rank, Not lured by ambition, Or goaded by necessity, But in simple Obedience to Duty; As they understood it, These men suffered all, Sacrificed all, Dared all--and died" USN Submariner - "Pride runs Deep"

Welcome.

By default this forum only shows the last 45 days worth of posts. At the bottom of this forum's home page is a drop down menu titled "Show threads from..." You can choose from the last 45 days to all the way back to the beginning. There's a ton of good info, tips, pictures, etc. That should get you started off in the right direction.

Right off the bat, for fishing you're definitely better off with a sit on vs a sit in yak for a few reasons, the main one being the relative lack of ample space in a sit in to keep all of your gear. A sit on is way more "fisherman friendly" than a sit in.
    Ranting incoherently

3. Member
    Oh wow! I did not see that, I was wondering why there were so little posts, thanks! Time to get reading.

"Not for fame or reward, Not for place or for rank, Not lured by ambition, Or goaded by necessity, But in simple Obedience to Duty; As they understood it, These men suffered all, Sacrificed all, Dared all--and died" USN Submariner - "Pride runs Deep"

4. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    My advice: shop used. Many folks buy a yak, use it a year and sell it (in pristine condition with lots of bells and whistles and options added) at a steal in order to move up to a peddle powered kayak or a longer kayak or a kayak their cool buddies are using. I've found that as soon as you buy a yak, you're eyeballing your next one already.

Other stuff to consider: How will you haul it? Do you have room at home to keep it stored when not in use? Do you need a depth finder/GPS combo? What kind of paddle are you going to get? (a cheap, heavy paddle used with a heavy, slow kayak will wear your @$$ out)

Since you have a boat, I'd keep it. A yak plus a boat covers you for all conditions and seasons and it keeps your options open.

Consider kayak weight, tracking, kayak life vest, paddle, anchors, rod holders, cart, crate, kayak stability, storage front and rear, owner feedback (facebook forums for the various brands and kayak fishing communities), and go to a local kayak dealer and ask lots of questions (sit on/in them, touch them, check out the comfort of the seats, etc). Watch youtube vids.

Good luck!!

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

5. Member
    Thanks for the advice! The only reason I am selling the boat is it will go unused the enitre season other than a couple times because of our deployment. I will be buying another boat when we get back, so your advice of used makes even more sense!

I recently got involved in doing some yak fishing. I also shopped used but ended up buying a 10ft Sun Dolphin sit on style to get my feet wet, if you will. But, I'm fixing to invest in a Sun Dolphin 12ft Boss SS. It can be bought for around $600-$700, depending on vendor. Its a really nice boat and priced right.

7. Member
    Thanks for your service. I spent roughly a year fishing out of a kayak. Besides being a great way to catch fish, it’s also very relaxing and peaceful. I bought another boat about the first of the year, but I will always have a kayak too. It lets you get back into places and catch fish that bass boats can’t.

There are a lot of kayak groups on facebook. That would be a good place to find a kayak and to meet other kayakers.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

My Perception Pescador Pro 120 was around $800. It weighs 67 lbs and is very stable. Comes with a stadium style seat too. This thread shows it with my big-boat seat in it which is super comfy.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=882033
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

9. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    My Perception Pescador Pro 120 was around $800. It weighs 67 lbs and is very stable. Comes with a stadium style seat too. This thread shows it with my big-boat seat in it which is super comfy.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=882033
    Wife just got a Pescador Pro 100 same color scheme as you.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

10. Member
    If looking used I have a Ocean Kayak BG2 in urban camo that I bought new and used maybe 20 times. Paid $1400 and had 2 flush mounted rod holders installed and several gear tracks. Willing to part with for $800. Also has a Lowrance Elite 7TI w totalscan ($799) that's not going with it unless right price.

Welcome, retired Army (27 yrs)....congrats on reaching the end. I'm fishing out of an Ascend FS 128T. Sit on top, from Bass Pro. With your military discount you'll save an additional 10%. Good kayak, albeit a bit heavy and cumbersome at times. I'm currently looking at a Bonafide kayak. My best advice would be to look at your local kayak dealers and see if any of them offer "test drives." In Raleigh, NC, there's a store called Great Outdoor Provision Company. They do test drives every month during the summer. They'll bring out 4-6 of their best selling 'yaks so you can truly test them out.

Don’t do it. 2 years ago I had all intentions of buying another boat was shopping around. Just for kicks I bought a cheap kayak used to fish out of my pond. I used it to fish a local kayak tournament. All for fun. I won the freshwater division and a new, nicer kayak. Kayak fished for 6 mos. Decided I wanted a different one and dropped $1500 on another. Which leads to now, where I have no desire to buy another boat and I’m signing up for all kinds of KBF and other online tournaments. I have the advantage of having a helluva lot of small lakes and a whole lot of gulf coast inshore to fish within a short drive. It has different challenges and it’s a whole lot of fun. I really only lurk on BBC anymore I actually came by to look at the electronics for sale board before I buy a new graph for my Jackson Big Tuna and got sidetracked looking at other things.

I say go to a dealer and try a couple in your price range however that may not be a real option depending on if there’s actually a dealer nearby. But if you’re really looking at a sit in, look at the Jackson Kilroy. Best sit in fishing kayak I’ve seen. It’s over $1k though. Under $1000 new, I’m gonna recommend the Nucanoe Flint. Guy I know is on Nucanoe’s fishing team and he got one a couple mos ago before they really came out. Anyway they’re slick. Well made, pretty light, standable, and good manageable size. I’m partial to being able to stand and fish. Jackson Cruise Angler or Native Slayer, Perception Pescador Pro (which may be more available at a sporting goods store type place if there are no dealers) Some areas offer more options for used kayaks than others. Idk about the market up there.

What’s up Duane? I hope you’re doing well.

14. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlefarter View Post
    What’s up Duane? I hope you’re doing well.
    Josh! Hey man, doing great!! What kayak do you have?

FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

I have a Jackson Big Tuna and Kaku Kahuna paddleboard now that I fish from. The Big Tuna is a beast but I can switch from tandem to fish with my kids or solo to go alone. The paddleboard is cool to fish from too. Have a chair and a cooler and stuff to strap to it. It fishes pretty well on flat water and not too bad when it gets choppy.

Quote Originally Posted by F150owner View Post
    Wife just got a Pescador Pro 100 same color scheme as you.
    Cool. I started with that one then the next year sold it to a buddy who was a bit smaller than me, and bought the 120 since Scheel's had one in stock. I kinda miss how easy it was to put the 10 footer on the roof.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat