Thread: Transom Saver

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Transom Saver

What is a good transom saver for larger motors? Have a 250 e-tec and don't like the way my transom saver rubs the paint off the lower unit and have broken 2 were they slip over the lower unit while traveling down the road.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

2. Member

Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    ^ This...+1 for motormate
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I've been using Lock-n-Haul on my 250 HPDI. Very happy with it.

http://www.lock-n-haul.com/_index.php

5. Member
    I guess i'm old school as i don't see how the motormate or lock and haul take the pressure off of your transom when trailering.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

I've seen all the videos and heard the discussions and still go old skool. Not opposed to the newer ones, just set in my ways.

7. Member
    I'm with you on the old school transom saver. Those Which supports the motor protects the trim cylinders and pump. The motor is still hanging and bouncing on the transom. That's why they are called transom saver.... Just my opinion also..
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

8. Member
    i am very pleased with my lock-n-haul
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

9. Member
    Old school too!

10. Banned
    Very debatable that’s for sure. Drive and watch your motor bounce around while using the transom saver, can’t be a lot of support really involved with the way it allows the motor to bounce.

Put on a motormate and the motor is much more solid, but with that said I have no clue which one really is really better. I’ve read many threads on it and I can see both sides. Seems there could be a 3rd better option, maybe a hybrid with dual contact points.

While my boat sits in the garage I always keep the old school on it, not sure if it matters since all the weight is really pushing down on the jackplate.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hekistner View Post
    I'm with you on the old school transom saver. Those Which supports the motor protects the trim cylinders and pump. The motor is still hanging and bouncing on the transom. That's why they are called transom saver.... Just my opinion also..
    I'm with y'all!

Totally understand what the MotorMate does, and that it even helps keep the motor straight.

But....... while it may indeed protect the trim components better, it doesn't stop the entire motor AT ALL from bouncing on the transom.

Being as the topic of this thread has come up from time to time, I've thought about it a few times and sketched up a drawing of what'd be a hybrid old school unit, and the MotorMate type unit.

I've thought out a design that's a hybrid of the MotorMate and the old school unit. Still connects on both sides up top, but has another pole that goes down to the trailer roller. Like a heavy spring loaded extension with minimum give, and perhaps even have a bit of spring loaded give to the top part, no more than ½" should be plenty.

It'd be really easy to do, and provide support with the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by DixieChicken; 03-18-2018 at 06:46 PM.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

12. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I just don't like how the "old school" rubs the paint off and last year was my first year with the 210 and the 250 e-tec and I broke 2 of the "old school" transom savers right at the motor and don't travel very far with the boat. 1 broke on the very first time using it out of the package. Never had a issue with them on smaller 150 motors, but they just don't seem to hold up for me yet with the bigger motor just looking for ideas.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

All ready been done. BCB sells em. I forgot the name.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieChicken View Post
    I'm with y'all!

Totally understand what the MotorMate does, and that it even helps keep the motor straight.

But....... while it may indeed protect the trim components better, it doesn't stop the entire motor AT ALL from bouncing on the transom.

Being as the topic of this thread has come up from time to time, I've thought about it a few times and sketched up a drawing of what'd be a hybrid old school unit, and the MotorMate type unit.

I've thought out a design that's a hybrid of the MotorMate and the old school unit. Still connects on both sides up top, but has another pole that goes down to the trailer roller. Like a heavy spring loaded extension with minimum give, and perhaps even have a bit of spring loaded give to the top part, no more than ½" should be plenty.

It'd be really easy to do, and provide support with the best of both worlds.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    All ready been done. BCB sells em. I forgot the name.
    Yeah that's the Motor Toter. It's one straight piece, with the two connections at the motor. That one seems like a much better deal than rubbing the bottom end on both sides.

Although, paint to match the motor (even Mercury paint) is cheap and I repaint the bottom of mine (below the plate, and the skeg) several times a year.

I was thinking of a little unit like the MotorMate, that locks into the motor bracket like it does, as well as the two point connection to the motor, but with the extra bracket going down to the roller.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

15. Pat Goff
    I don’t like the old style transom savers.
    Why?
    Boats tied down to the trailer front and back.
    When you put a rod from trailer to the lower unit, every bump goes straight through the motor into the transom.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    I don’t like the old style transom savers.
    Why?
    Boats tied down to the trailer front and back.
    When you put a rod from trailer to the lower unit, every bump goes straight through the motor into the transom.
    Thanks you just helped a ton with that reply
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

17. Member
    I got tired of the rubber tip breaking off and scratching up the lower unit. I've been looking for something that fits my motor and finally found this. https://www.cabelas.com/product/M-YW...6.uts?slotId=4

I have the single ram T&T so they had a version for that. I'm giving it a try to see how it holds up.

18. Member
    Pat which do you recommend then? The new styles dont support transom either, not the ones I have seen.

19. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Ever seen what an outboard is doing running across a rough lake??

20. Pat Goff
    My favorite is a hydraulic plate run up and the motor straight up and down.
    Or the ones that just clip the motor down. I don’t like the trailer taking extra shots at the boat.

But that’s just me.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast