1999 Mercury 200 EFI - Replaced Primer Bulb still won't start

My 1999 Ranger 518 DVS with a 200 EFI stopped running at the end of a club tournament last week.
    Primer bulb would not fill I when pumped it. Came in on the TM. Replaced the bulb today. Still not getting fuel to the bulb or the engine.

I removed my bench seat to access the fuel tanks to determine if feeder tubes may be clogged or had fallen off. But, it looked like there was a decent chance I'd foul something up trying to get to the feeder tube fittings as my fuel fill hose was pushed up hard against them.

Decided to check other, less risky options before wrestling with the tubes.

I took the cowling off and pumped the bulb several times, there's a "puffing" sound coming from behind the small (oil?) tank at top of the engine. I followed the primer hose under the cowling as far as I could didn't find any dangling hoses.. It sounds like there is a disconnected hose but I can't see it.

If anyone has run into this issue, and resolved it, would appreciate your input. Thanks.
    Last edited by Lookin4Bass; 03-18-2018 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Issue resolved

To get fuel started on my new bulb install, I had to hold the bulb up/down instead of sideways until fuel filled the bulb. If you still have the connection for the fuel line where it enters the cowl, disconnect there and put the end in a container. Pump the bulb and check for fuel. If none then you know issue is before motor. If you get fuel, probably time to rebuild low pressure fuel pump. Another thing possible is float not sealing in vst, but you would have a strong fuel smell and fuel coming out of intake or intake area as you pump bulb.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

3. Member
    ^^^^^^ hold bulb vertical helps check valves work
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Is the arrow on the bulb pointed towards the engine?

5. Member
    yes sir always
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Do you have an external fuel filter, can leak there too. But if bulb won’t fill then problem most likely between bulb and tank, including the bulb and tank. Could be something fell in tank (like the seal on an oil jug or additive bottle) and is blocking fill hose in the tank. I would disconnect hose from bulb on motor side and see if you can get gas to bulb, the work back to tank checking fittings.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Check your selector switch real close and make sure its clicking into position for starboard or port tank. May have bounced off the mark just slightly......

8. Member
    "Last edited by Lookin4Bass; 03-18-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Issue resolved"
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    "Last edited by Lookin4Bass; 03-18-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Issue resolved"
    Well, at least tell us what the problem/fix was. Will help people with similar issues in the future.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay