Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

youth baseball experts?

So my son has an Easton Mako 2-3/4 inch size 26 bat (composit). My other son has a 27 inch Rawlings Aluminum bat. There is a very noticeable difference in the sound of the bats (even my wife noticed it) , and the distance of the ball and speed of the ball coming off the bats is different. I got my oldest son to use both, and the sound, distance ,and ball speed were significantly different.

My question is can you actually purchase a bat that is dead to begin with? Could something have gone wrong with making the bat that causes it to sound/be so dull? It sounds like a soft baseball hitting an aluminum bat.

Can anyone recommend a decent (good value) bat for a 2nd grader? I feel good that he needs a size 26.

I don't know anything about baseball or baseball bats for that matter, but i am sure it might make a difference for him.

The composite should have much more pop than a aluminum bat. There will be a very noticeable sound and exit speed between the two bats. It would be hard to recommend a bat to you without knowing what kind of league your son is playing in. There are new bat standards that came out this year for certain leagues and organizations.

Be careful on what bat you decide to purchase. Your son may not be able to use the bat depending on the league he is playing in. Is there a website for the league your son plays in that tells you what stamp the bat has to have to be able to use it?
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

Online store that sells bats. You can look at reviews here to see what you may like.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...Q0QwIJw&adurl=

Here is a link to the new bat standards that I was talking about. These bat standards may or may not effect you depending on if the league your son is playing in has adopted the new bat standards.

https://www.littleleague.org/playing...-standard-faq/
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

Best I remember about bats the more they cost the better they harder they hit .

A composite bat will get better with use, there is kind of a break in period. It is recommended to rotate them on every swing.
    GO DAWGS

7. Member
    Thats interesting, because the composite is terribly worse than the aluminum, and even I can tell (I have zero experience with this). It is just a rec league. We only play the other rec teams. No tournaments, and no travel. Do you think the composite I got was just bad?

8. Member
    What is the break in period on a composite bat? I would guess it has hit 200-300 balls (just a swag).

9. Banned
    Justbats.com or baseballsavings.com .....as far as the 2 bays mentioned stay away as much as possible from a 2 3/4 barrel size bat . I understand some of these are hot like the mako beast ( if it's a all black bat silver writing ). Trying to figure out a bat for a 2nd grader is hard right now but understand ithese differences in pop . One sounds like a thud noise and the other a true sound . He's in 2nd grade just worry about form when he is swinging it's just coach pitch right now when he is 9 transitioning to kid pitch that's where all the and proper form come into play , he just has to get his timing down and seeing the ball out of the pitchers hand. The -10 or -12 Demarini Zen or any the Dirty South Bats will work for him . These are probably the hottest bats in travel ball right now ( I'm guessing he plays travel ball being he is swinging a 2 3/4 barrel size bat ? ) . "Word of advice, don't burn him out playing travel ball at a young age " . By the time he is 16 he will hate baseball possibly and that's when it all begins . Good proper form when swinging the bat right now and hitting it hard for base hits. As he gets older around 11-14 put some wood in his hands because if continues to play travel ball there will be some wood only bat tournaments , he will be ahead of those kids when time comes . And remember there are no scouts looking at kids at 7-8 years of age , let him enjoy the game and be a kid . Just remember it all changes when they step up on the 60/90 field . Some do stay w it and some do not because of other interest or the 3 G's - gas , grades , girls . Good luck w your venture and enjoy the ride , your fishing time will be cut down some now ....like mine . If you need some more help PM me a message .

10. Member
    I would say this, about that: If he’s making solid contact, and you’re only playing rec league, let hm swing whatever he, and you, are comfortable with. As I’m sure you’ve learned, you can spend as little or as much as you want on bats. Dont worry about the sound. Just worry about him making solid contact. As he gets older, should he continue to play, then you’ll start worrying about the bat.

-b-

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GZ ONE;9195197[B
    ]Justbats.com[/B] or baseballsavings.com .....as far as the 2 bays mentioned stay away as much as possible from a 2 3/4 barrel size bat . I understand some of these are hot like the mako beast ( if it's a all black bat silver writing ). Trying to figure out a bat for a 2nd grader is hard right now but understand ithese differences in pop . One sounds like a thud noise and the other a true sound . He's in 2nd grade just worry about form when he is swinging it's just coach pitch right now when he is 9 transitioning to kid pitch that's where all the and proper form come into play , he just has to get his timing down and seeing the ball out of the pitchers hand. The -10 or -12 Demarini Zen or any the Dirty South Bats will work for him . These are probably the hottest bats in travel ball right now ( I'm guessing he plays travel ball being he is swinging a 2 3/4 barrel size bat ? ) . "Word of advice, don't burn him out playing travel ball at a young age " . By the time he is 16 he will hate baseball possibly and that's when it all begins . Good proper form when swinging the bat right now and hitting it hard for base hits. As he gets older around 11-14 put some wood in his hands because if continues to play travel ball there will be some wood only bat tournaments , he will be ahead of those kids when time comes . And remember there are no scouts looking at kids at 7-8 years of age , let him enjoy the game and be a kid . Just remember it all changes when they step up on the 60/90 field . Some do stay w it and some do not because of other interest or the 3 G's - gas , grades , girls . Good luck w your venture and enjoy the ride , your fishing time will be cut down some now ....like mine . If you need some more help PM me a message .
    Justbats.com

12. Member
    After coaching and watching little league baseball for years I really think there should be a standard bat ,be it wood or aluminum.
    Why should one kid have an advantage over another just because his parents can shell out $200 for a ball bat? We had kids on my sons team that wouldn't let any of their team mates use their bats.

13. Member
    No travel ball. I just want him to be rewarded when he makes good contact. It seems like the ball is dead when it comes off that particular bat, but I don’t really know what I am doing.

Thanks.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GZ ONE View Post
    Justbats.com or baseballsavings.com .....as far as the 2 bays mentioned stay away as much as possible from a 2 3/4 barrel size bat . I understand some of these are hot like the mako beast ( if it's a all black bat silver writing ). Trying to figure out a bat for a 2nd grader is hard right now but understand ithese differences in pop . One sounds like a thud noise and the other a true sound . He's in 2nd grade just worry about form when he is swinging it's just coach pitch right now when he is 9 transitioning to kid pitch that's where all the and proper form come into play , he just has to get his timing down and seeing the ball out of the pitchers hand. The -10 or -12 Demarini Zen or any the Dirty South Bats will work for him . These are probably the hottest bats in travel ball right now ( I'm guessing he plays travel ball being he is swinging a 2 3/4 barrel size bat ? ) . "Word of advice, don't burn him out playing travel ball at a young age " . By the time he is 16 he will hate baseball possibly and that's when it all begins . Good proper form when swinging the bat right now and hitting it hard for base hits. As he gets older around 11-14 put some wood in his hands because if continues to play travel ball there will be some wood only bat tournaments , he will be ahead of those kids when time comes . And remember there are no scouts looking at kids at 7-8 years of age , let him enjoy the game and be a kid . Just remember it all changes when they step up on the 60/90 field . Some do stay w it and some do not because of other interest or the 3 G's - gas , grades , girls . Good luck w your venture and enjoy the ride , your fishing time will be cut down some now ....like mine . If you need some more help PM me a message .
    This is the most Spot on advice there is. My son started tournament/travel ball at coaches pitch. At age SIXTEEN he dropped it like a bad habit. Wasn't fun anymore.
    Then he started bass fishin.
    The Marucci Cat series ended what he preferred.

15. Member
    There is a new bat standard for play from little league up to college level.
    Bats will have a usabaseball sticker between the handle and barrel.
    The new USA baseball stamped bats (new approved bats for play) sound dead. The ball off the bat is similar to wood, that was the goal with the new bat standard initiated two years ago but goes into effect this year.

16. Member
    So I guess your league is not abiding by the new USA bat standards? If not, consider yourself lucky. They have deadened the bats and they are heavy and unbalanced. Composite should outperform the aluminum easy but the sound may be fooling you. Aluminum sounds like it’s got pop but it doesn’t.

I coach 7/8 yr old Little League and we have to use the USA Aluminum alloy bats, small kids 26/15, medium 27/16, big 28/17, all 2 5/8 barrel.
    2001 Ranger R71
    Merc 125
    MinnKota 74# Maxxum
    Humminbird 999
    Humminbird 859

The Easton model you speak of is on the low end of composite bats, with that said that doesn't mean it is a bad bat. What it does mean that the composite material used on that bat can develop soft spots on the barrel with that model you mention. After going through many brands of bats for my son's careers we came to realize Demarini bats at all price points was the best bat for the money period.
    Reach out to Easton and describe what is happening with the bat, they have very good customer service and will replace any defective bats usually at no or little charge to you depending on how long you have owned it.

If all else fails go get them a nice maple wood bat for $70 make them better hitters in the long run.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TNRanger View Post
    So I guess your league is not abiding by the new USA bat standards? If not, consider yourself lucky. They have deadened the bats and they are heavy and unbalanced. Composite should outperform the aluminum easy but the sound may be fooling you. Aluminum sounds like it’s got pop but it doesn’t.

I coach 7/8 yr old Little League and we have to use the USA Aluminum alloy bats, small kids 26/15, medium 27/16, big 28/17, all 2 5/8 barrel.
    It's a bbcor bat in a higher drop weight so the younger kids can get it around....your rating on these is .530 while bbcor is .50 . There is a meeting or has already happen to allow bbcor and USA BASEBALL Bats to be used at the same time in inner league play.

19. Member
    New. Usa, bats are thinner barrell too. We play 10u...the usssa,bats were way hotter...the new ones sound like a dud. Ball isnt flying off it very well. Imho

20. Member
    For that age any legal bat should be fine. 2-3/4 is awfully big for a 2nd grader. I have no idea why they even make 2-3/4 any more. They are hardly legal plus 2-5/8 is the max diameter for highschool, college and beyond. What is the length and weight of these bats? Prob want atleast a drop 10 so 26inch would weigh 16oz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast