Thread: Who to believe?

Who to believe?

While searching for answers for my tire/trailer issue, I visited a few trailer shops. Two told me the same thing-for a better tire switch to radial car tires. Claim they are higher ply and better made. Don't quote me, but as I recall, didn't BassCat use auto tires on their trailers. I want to just go fishing without the fear of a tire issue once and for all.

2. Banned
    You can get away with car tires on a tandem, but trailer tires are made for trailers.
    Never use car tires on a single axle, as you need to run the tires at 50-55psi to reduce deformation and overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    You can get away with car tires on a tandem, but trailer tires are made for trailers.
    Never use car tires on a single axle, as you need to run the tires at 50-55psi to reduce deformation and overheating.
    Tru Dat!

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Nothing but car tires on my tandem axle trailer. Came with car tires from factory.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Car tires are fine IF they meet the load requirements. That's not generally a concern with a tandem trailer.

Goodyear has come out with the Endurance line of ST tires which comes in a Load Range D. Haven't been on the market long enough to prove themselves, but they seem like a great choice.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Yes Basscat trailers did come with "car" tires, Cooper if I'm not mistaken. Worked very very well, the used Basscats I had had car tires at least 12 years old.

7. Member
    Tires for trailers have always been a crapshoot.

As of now Goodyear Endurance appears to be the tire to bet on.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

8. Member
    I had Maxxis ST Radial M8008 on my last boat, single axle, and they were very good tires.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Yes Basscat trailers did come with "car" tires, Cooper if I'm not mistaken. Worked very very well, the used Basscats I had had car tires at least 12 years old.
    Ranger at lesst on the 2017 models and maybe earlier put General P rated tires on their 17 inch wheels that they offered as an option. . According to Ranger they worked with General on putting this tire on their trailers. A Ranger owner sent General a question regarding their tire on his trailer and they sent him a response that they do not make a ST rated tire and do not recommend running a P rated tire including theirs on a boat trailer. Running a non ST rated tire on a boat trailer I think comes with a liability risk.

10. Member
    Just put the Goodyear endurance tires on my new trailer. Had car tires on it but the tires was not rite. They were generals I believe. Getting ready for a long trip will see how they perform.

I run Kumho tires and am really impressed with them. Heard a rumor they stopped making them.
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

they make some 10 ply vehicle tires that should be ok.

13. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    While searching for answers for my tire/trailer issue, I visited a few trailer shops. Two told me the same thing-for a better tire switch to radial car tires. Claim they are higher ply and better made. Don't quote me, but as I recall, didn't BassCat use auto tires on their trailers. I want to just go fishing without the fear of a tire issue once and for all.
    Need to define your trailer configuration. Single or dual axle and weight.

14. Member
    Cooper Cobra on mine with zero problems.

15. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    I did a lot of research before just purchasing new rims and tires. I just got them installed today so I can’t speak for towing or longevity. It’s all about load rating and making sure they can hold 50 psi. I was uneasy with using a regular car tire so I went with an XL rating Bridgestone Dueler. They weren’t cheap but it’s what worked for my setup with new rims

Quote Originally Posted by fastman151 View Post
    I run Kumho tires and am really impressed with them. Heard a rumor they stopped making them.

Bought four Kumho tires new. Within 1500 miles the first one had a belt separate, they replaced it no charge. 2 weeks later another tire the belts separated, they replaced no charge, no questions. A month later another belt separation, dealer had no more of that tire.Kumho of Ca. Sent me a check and I replaced the third tire and fourth tire with Carlise tires. I didn't even take a chance with the 4th tire. All 4 were chit. All tires 65psi, EVERYTIME the boat left the garage. I did a search while having the problems and saw others that had belt separations