Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Two new Helix 7's - one won't power on

I started my install of two new Helix 7 units today. One is a SI GPS G2N (for the helm) and the other is a GPS G2N (for the bow).

I started at the bow with the GPS G2N. With all my wiring completed at the bow I have power. I plugged the GPS G2N in and it won't turn on. So I double checked and I have power to the units power plug. Plugged it back in again and still nothing, it won't turn on.

Then I pulled my new SI GPS G2N (that's going at my helm) out of the box and plugged it in to bow wiring and it powers up just fine.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Or do I have one dead unit?

2. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Sounds like a DOA to me ...

1-800-633-1468
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

A call this am is on my to do list.

4. Member
    My Helix 10 came to me brand new DOA a month ago.

5. Member
    Make sure you have the power cord connector oriented correctly at the unit (the tab needs to be on top).
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

6. Dogfish_Jones
    If you are below 10 volts it may not come on.

All my wiring is fine. My other new unit works perfectly on the same wires.

Called HB yesterday and it’s on the way back to them now.

It was a dead unit. HB was great to work with. They emailed me a Fed Ex call tag to send it back to them. They confirmed it would not power on and replaced the back panel of the unit. It's on its way back to me now.

9. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

Just got the repaired unit back from HB. They replaced the rear panel as the unit would not power on. However, now there is no plug for my ethernet cable. Am I losing my mind or did they put the wrong back panel my unit? I have a power plug, a transducer plug, another rectangular plug with angled corner, but not an ethernet plug in.

Should the G2N unit have 4 plugs in the back of it? I was able to plug my ethernet cable (yes - with the adapter) in before but now I don't have a place for it. I just don't recall if I had 4 plug spots or 3 before. But I know I could plug my ethernet in. I'm thinking they sent my unit back with a non-G2N back panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtlvr View Post
    Just got the repaired unit back from HB. They replaced the rear panel as the unit would not power on. However, now there is no plug for my ethernet cable. Am I losing my mind or did they put the wrong back panel my unit? I have a power plug, a transducer plug, another rectangular plug with angled corner, but not an ethernet plug in.

Should the G2N unit have 4 plugs in the back of it? I was able to plug my ethernet cable (yes - with the adapter) in before but now I don't have a place for it. I just don't recall if I had 4 plug spots or 3 before. But I know I could plug my ethernet in. I'm thinking they sent my unit back with a non-G2N back panel.
    It appears you got a G2 or first generation back panel instead of a G2N back panel. OR you got one of those models as a replacement unit.
    Take a picture of the back and send to Humminbird with your contact info.
    Is the serial number the same?
    Have you started up the unit to see if it is a G2N?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    It appears you got a G2 or first generation back panel instead of a G2N back panel. OR you got one of those models as a replacement unit.
    Take a picture of the back and send to Humminbird with your contact info.
    Is the serial number the same?
    Have you started up the unit to see if it is a G2N?
    The work order showed they replaced the back panel. The same serial number sticker with G2N model info is on the unit by the plug ins.

I have yet to power it up. How do you see if it's a G2N when powered up?

If the serial # is the same then it must be the wrong back panel right? Assuming the G2N back panel has 4 plugs

Can I check the serial # when powered on somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtlvr View Post
    The work order showed they replaced the back panel. The same serial number sticker with G2N model info is on the unit by the plug ins.

I have yet to power it up. How do you see if it's a G2N when powered up?

If the serial # is the same then it must be the wrong back panel right? Assuming the G2N back panel has 4 plugs

Can I check the serial # when powered on somewhere?
    The model is displayed on start-up. The serial number is displayed in the System Status view.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The model is displayed on start-up. The serial number is displayed in the System Status view.

The unit powered up and the model displayed was G2N. So they must have put the wrong back panel on it. Then it beeped like when you press one of the buttons but the beep stayed on. No matter what button I pressed it continued the solid beep sound. I pulled the power plug wire to stop it and then plugged it back in and now it won't power on and is doing the same thing it was doing before I sent it back - which is not powering on and making that electronic click sound when I press the power button.

Just for grins I swapped my SI unit to the bow and this dead unit with the wrong plugs to the helm and the dead unit is still dead and the SI unit works fine at the bow.

This is a bit frustrating.

15. Member
    Dirt I feel for you. You might request a new unit so you don't have this hassle continue any longer. Bob
    On the brighter side we can send Wayne fan mail now!

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Dirt I feel for you. You might request a new unit so you don't have this hassle continue any longer. Bob
    On the brighter side we can send Wayne fan mail now!
    Thanks! I was just really excited when the box arrived and was looking forward to connecting this unit for the final time tonight.

We'll see how the call to HB goes tomorrow. A new unit sounds like a good idea to me right about now.

Update - I called HB this am and the lady on the phone basically just listened and without much compassion said she was sorry and would email me a Fed Ex Ground call tag again. I requested a new head unit as I don't have much confidence in this one coming back in working order. She said that's not something she could do. I don't have a Fed Ex anywhere near me so I shipped it UPS overnight shipping. I wrote them a nice note explaining the issues and requested a new unit and for them to return the unit overnight shipping as well. We'll see how this goes.

18. Member
    Don't hurt to ask. If nothing else they might try harder. They should at least be embarrassed for shipping the wrong Back. Not excusable. Somebody was texting or something. Let us know how it goes. Bob

19. Member
    Makes me wonder if the g2 and g2n are the exact same units minus the back panel and a software difference.

Update and finally an end to this. I had a box from HB sitting at my door last night when I got home. They sent me a new unit. They sent it Fed Ex ground - not over night as I requested and paid for to send it back to them, but it was a new unit. And as expected it had the Ethernet plug as it should and powered up just fine.

Time to get out on the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast