Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a new helix unit, need help.

I'm looking to buy a new unit for my boat. I've been doing research but still I'm learning a few things. Figured I'd ask some help from people who are more experienced than me. I've always been a river fisherman and got a boat and starting to lake fish and want to get a unit that best suits me, for the best price. Here's what I'm looking at:

http://bbgmarine.com/humminbird-heli...o-p-24292.html

Vs

http://bbgmarine.com/humminbird-heli...o-p-23563.html

I know the g2n is the newer of them, but I don't think I'll ever utilize the networking, unless it's something that I really need to start using and learning.

What's your all opinion on those two? Or do I need to look elsewhere for what I need? Thanks so much.

Both can be networked via Ethernet. Both come with the same SI transducer XNT 9 SI 180 T

The Helix 9 is a discontinued model and the Helix 7 is one of the current ones.

The H7 has CHIRP sonar and CHIRP imaging.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    So in your opinion you would take the chirp over the bigger screen?

Bigger screen
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I'd recommend the 9 because the screen is larger and it has 2 card slots. Have known lots of guys to think they would never use two cards and then regretted it. I would also upgrade to the XHS 9 HDSI 180T transducer if you can so you can use the 800khz capabilities. Costs less than $100 to upgrade so long as you don't open the package on the standard transducer. BBG can help you out with that.

Quote Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
    I'd recommend the 9 because the screen is larger and it has 2 card slots. Have known lots of guys to think they would never use two cards and then regretted it. I would also upgrade to the XHS 9 HDSI 180T transducer if you can so you can use the 800khz capabilities. Costs less than $100 to upgrade so long as you don't open the package on the standard transducer. BBG can help you out with that.
    Transducer exchanges are handle through Humminbird Customer Service.

You can use 800 kHz with the Compact SI transducer also, but would not get the benefit of the longer Imaging crystals that the HDSI has.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Will the updated transducer just give a clearer image? Most lake around where I live aren't that deep of lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryand15 View Post
    Will the updated transducer just give a clearer image? Most lake around where I live aren't that deep of lakes.
    Yes. It is 2" longer and has longer Imaging crystals. Those longer Imaging crystals produce a thinner Imaging pulse and sharper images.

It does not add 800 kHz capability to the unit, it already has it. Just need to change the Connected Transducer setting to
    Hi-Def Sidescan
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Thank you, good to know. I was under the impression the standard would only do 455 and the upgrade was needed.

Thank you, good to know. I was under the impression the standard would only do 455 and the upgrade was needed.
    Both the Compact SI transducer, and HDSI transducer have two SI crystals, a Sonar Crystal, and a Temp sensor.
    Both have 5 pins in the transducer plug.
    One pin is for the left side SI
    One pin is for the right side SI
    One pin is for 2D sonar
    One pin is for Temp sensor
    One pin is a common neutral circuit for the 4 positive circuits.
    The units broadcast 83/200 kHz with the 2D sonar crystal either just 200 kHz or a combo 83/200 kHz alternating.
    Units with 455/800 kHz Imaging, broadcast one or the other frequency with the two SI crystals.
    Units with just 455 kHz Imaging, can just broadcast the 455 kHz frequency with the two SI crystals.

"upgrade" is needed to get sharper images. You can use the HDSI transducer with every SI model from 398 up to Helix 12 non-MEGA unit. It does not give units that don't have 800 kHz that capability.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Both the Compact SI transducer, and HDSI transducer have two SI crystals, a Sonar Crystal, and a Temp sensor.
    Both have 5 pins in the transducer plug.
    One pin is for the left side SI
    One pin is for the right side SI
    One pin is for 2D sonar
    One pin is for Temp sensor
    One pin is a common neutral circuit for the 4 positive circuits.
    The units broadcast 83/200 kHz with the 2D sonar crystal either just 200 kHz or a combo 83/200 kHz alternating.
    Units with 455/800 kHz Imaging, broadcast one or the other frequency with the two SI crystals.
    Units with just 455 kHz Imaging, can just broadcast the 455 kHz frequency with the two SI crystals.

"upgrade" is needed to get sharper images. You can use the HDSI transducer with every SI model from 398 up to Helix 12 non-MEGA unit. It does not give units that don't have 800 kHz that capability.
    I appreciate you taking the time to give me your input.

12. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    It'll do either but @ 800 kHz, the cSI looks like d00k!e compared to the HDSI like previously mentioned many times before.

The difference is more apparent than @ 455 kHz IMO, IDK If Master Wayne would agree or not.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

13. Member
    Not trying to hijack thread as I am mostly a river fisherman with some lake fishing considering the same units as OP. Due to budget constraints I cannot buy 2 new units and need to know if I would be better off mounting the 9" unit on the trolling motor or at the console and moving the Piranamax 4 to the trolling motor. ( retired on fixed income).

Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Not trying to hijack thread as I am mostly a river fisherman with some lake fishing considering the same units as OP. Due to budget constraints I cannot buy 2 new units and need to know if I would be better off mounting the 9" unit on the trolling motor or at the console and moving the Piranamax 4 to the trolling motor. ( retired on fixed income).
    Which one of the several models of Helix 9?????
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    I'd put the biggest unit where YOU spend the most seat time, that can benefit the most IMO.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Which one of the several models of Helix 9?????
    CW57797 The SI GPS model.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    I'd put the biggest unit where YOU spend the most seat time, that can benefit the most IMO.
    Thank you. I was thinking that I spend much more time using the trolling motor than idling along checking the bottom although I can see the importance of finding good looking features that way.

18. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    CW57797 The SI GPS model.
    That is an item stock number for the seller.

The model is a Helix 9 SI GPS (Gen1) it's actual HB MPN is #409950-1

https://www.humminbird.com/Products/HELIX-9-SI-GPS/
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

19. Member
    This. 2 card slots is HUGE. If you want to record your sonar data to make your own maps, it's nice to be able to have some factory nav card in one slot to have SOME kind of an idea what the lake looks like, and then record onto the other one.

It's also nice with a lakemaster card and a ZLC since you can overlay your ZLC maps onto the factory maps so you can actually figure out what parts of a lake you still need to map, while maintaining an idea of what the rest of the lake looks like.

I've actually found myself wishing my unit had 3 slots...

20. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar

X 3 on 3!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    This. 2 card slots is HUGE.......

I've actually found myself wishing my unit had 3 slots...
    Me TOO!!!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast