Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Last edited by Savage; 04-05-2018 at 04:37 PM.

2. Member
    You wouldn't want to bet on it. The company he worked for had everything from agricultural to military contracts. Many of their pumps and parts they built can be found on Aircraft Carriers, battleships, Cessna Aircraft, fighter jets, NASA projects, and the list continues. The gear pump gears may not be in the millionths, but some of the shafts and other parts were ground with those tolerances. Ground to those tolerances (on an internal / external grinder), not machined on a lathe or mill!

Do you have any idea how you measure something in the millionths?

Heres one for ya.. they built a hydraulic pump that had to be ran by a very high hp electric motor (wish I could remember the hp). The motor had its own dedicated electric substation to power it. It took 15 min to bring the pump to full rpm... now you ask what it was for?? It would completely fuel an aircraft carrier in 45 min.. oh yeah,, Cessna had a gear pump on their aircraft that had issues. Cessna refused to sell them the pump. So, they bought the aircraft, removed the pump, my dad disassembled the pump, and the engineers figured out the problem, then they began building them and selling them to Cessna.

So, I say all that to say this. No everyone on here's mechanical skills begin and end with just changing lawnmower blades. Am I the machinist my father is,,, hell no!! But if you understand how things work, are assembled, tolerances, etc., most parts / components are fixable.
    Last edited by clayc; 04-05-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

3. Member
    Great information and thanks! Those tolerances mentioned are quite impressive.

4. Member
    I'm not following your post. I however am very familiar with this pump and the tolerances are not very tight but the design is complex with over 50 parts. The function is critical to the engine and if it is not working correctly the outcome could be less then ideal. It might work indefinitely, it could fail right away, or work for short while before catastrophic failure. For this reason I say it is better to replace then to repair. Bottom line is the ratio of the cost of the Part to the powerhead. Maybe $6000/$400.

Quote Originally Posted by clayc View Post
    You wouldn't want to bet on it. The company he worked for had everything from agricultural to military contracts. Many of their pumps and parts they built can be found on Aircraft Carriers, battleships, Cessna Aircraft, fighter jets, NASA projects, and the list continues. The gear pump gears may not be in the millionths, but some of the shafts and other parts were ground with those tolerances. Ground to those tolerances (on an internal / external grinder), not machined on a lathe or mill!

Do you have any idea how you measure something in the millionths?

Heres one for ya.. they built a hydraulic pump that had to be ran by a very high hp electric motor (wish I could remember the hp). The motor had its own dedicated electric substation to power it. It took 15 min to bring the pump to full rpm... now you ask what it was for?? It would completely fuel an aircraft carrier in 45 min.. oh yeah,, Cessna had a gear pump on their aircraft that had issues. Cessna refused to sell them the pump. So, they bought the aircraft, removed the pump, my dad disassembled the pump, and the engineers figured out the problem, then they began building them and selling them to Cessna.

So, I say all that to say this. No everyone on here's mechanical skills begin and end with just changing lawnmower blades. Am I the machinist my father is,,, hell no!! But if you understand how things work, are assembled, tolerances, etc., most parts / components are fixable.
    Last edited by leo13; 04-05-2018 at 01:17 PM.

5. Member
    I have a 2013 PRO XS 250 and my oil Pump started leaking, took to dealer, under warranty, he replaced my oil pump, rigging hose and cost me 250.00. Here is the way I look at this, I could have done it myself, but 250.00 done in one day by certified merc master tech, which if anything goes wrong on him, or saving a few dollars and bam, their goes engine. Its pretty simple replace O-ring, still leaks, engine blows up, Mercury's fault and your now going to pay 5 to 8 thousand or whatever to now fix a an engine that you only started out as an oil leak. Just my opinion. Your money.
    2013 A211 250 Pro XS
    Bob"s 10" Action Series Hydraulic Jack Plate
    2-8' Power Poles

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leo13 View Post
    I'm not following your post. I however am very familiar with this pump and the tolerances are not very tight but the design is complex with over 50 parts. The function is critical to the engine and if it is not working correctly the outcome could be less then ideal. It might work indefinitely, it could fail right away, or work for short while before catastrophic failure. For this reason I say it is better to replace then to repair. Bottom line is the ratio of the cost of the Part to the powerhead. Maybe $6000/$400.
    Sorry,, it was in response to a couple fellas questioning several factors to include running tolerances in the millionths. Guess I took it a bit too far making my point.
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

7. Member
    Update for me, I replaced o ring with one that was the exact same size and after sitting for a day with out running or priming pump I saw it still had a very slight leak so opened it back up and like mentioned in other posts it seemed as if new O ring barley pressed together between housing and groove like if the groove was to deep. So I put one slightly larger in and leak stopped, after sitting a week didn’t see the slightest bit of oil so yesterday took the boat to dealership and had hour print outs done, faults cleared and performed oil pump prime on both motors
    so when doing prime both engine mounted tanks were full and I eye balled the amount of oil both pumps primed and they both pumped the same amount and still no leaks, fired them up and ran it for an hour yesterday and all is good
    this might not be something that the average guy is comfortable doing but just because it’s leaking doesn’t not mean the pump is bad It just was a poor design
    I also felt more comfortable watching the the pump prime using the cds verses the putting motor into break in mode since I was able to disconnect fuel pumps and watch and listen solely to the oil pump
    I don’t know the o ring size off the top of my head but it was a 3mm thick o ring

8. Member
    Why did you disconnect the fuel pumps, before the oil pump prime sequence? I'm pretty sure the fuel pumps don't turn on anyways.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fuel Pumps DO run during the Oil Pump Prime sequence, but you DO NOT need to disconnect them for the Oil Pump Prime (they are supposed to be running).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MH401 View Post
    You can purchase a new one for $358.47, just seems like a very basic system I was able press the plunger and see oil coming out of the disconnected compressor oil line
    and I can understand why mercury doesn’t sell the o ring because the risk of a bad repair but have rebuilt trim units,steering helms, and steering rams and I confident that I can replace this o ring with my eyes closed, I read some posts were people say that changing the size of the can change pressures of the pump but if it’s leaking then the pressure is changed already and from what I can see this o ring would not change or effect pressures in any way but... we’ll see
    You have a link for the $358.00 ones?

11. Member
    Since this thread has reappeared I will update my experience. a while back I received some O-rings from a member here that was supposed to be the solve for this leaking oil pump issue. I installed the O-ring. I took it to the dealer for a prime and the pump still leaked. It did not stop the leak. I'm just a weekend Joe so I can't say why it turned out this way.
    GETFISHED !!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Since this thread has reappeared I will update my experience. a while back I received some O-rings from a member here that was supposed to be the solve for this leaking oil pump issue. I installed the O-ring. I took it to the dealer for a prime and the pump still leaked. It did not stop the leak. I'm just a weekend Joe so I can't say why it turned out this way.
    And later on your motor did blow up for some reason......

13. Member
    I have read numerous post on these oil pumps. Ive read where the pumps are supposed to be non repairable. Ive read where some members have attempted to repair these pumps. I may be out of line here but i gonna ask. Has anyone had verified success in there attempts to replace the o rings. I am a machinist as well. At my job i do quite a bit of machining for our hydraulic department so i have a understanding of how the o ring and depth tolerance work. Yes my curoisity is high. And by the way im just inquiring for future knowledge.
    Last edited by Redngoo; 10-27-2018 at 12:54 PM.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    And later on your motor did blow up for some reason......
    That's a stupid post that serves no benefit. You don't know if there was a connection and neither do I. Maybe something positive next time, huh ?

Now ya can have the last word.
    Last edited by getfished; 10-27-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    GETFISHED !!!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    That's a stupid post that serves no benefit. You don't know if there was a connection and neither do I. Maybe something positive next time, huh ?
    I'm just stating the facts......it did blow up for "some reason". I never stated that there WAS a connection, but it is plausible, just like cold seizing was plausible.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod35 View Post
    You have a link for the $358.00 ones?
    You can buy these pumps from Scott at speedandcostom marine in FL for $334. That's best price I know of for a new one.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    You can buy these pumps from Scott at speedandcostom marine in FL for $334. That's best price I know of for a new one.
    Looks like they have JUST ONE at that price. It's a bargain, for sure.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Thanks bud just purchased one from them off eBay!

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod35 View Post
    Thanks bud just purchased one from them off eBay!
    Hopefully all goes well for you.

20. Member
    I replaced my pump last year (for leaking) and I noticed today while doing my 400hr service it's leaking again. This oil pump issue is dumb......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast