Best way to drain fuel tank?

Have some old fuel and looking for the best method to drain, Phoenix mercury 250 pro xs. What do you recommend it's about 20gal

2. Member
    A boat fuel primer bulb with a long piece of appropriate size plastic tubing has worked for me. Slowly push the tube into the filler til you believe it has gotten down into the tank, lower the bulb as necessary and draw fuel into the tube...typical siphon effect.

3. Member
    Use a jack, tilt the trailer, take off the fuel sender (usually) and mop the last bit with rags on coathanger wire.

I use an auxiliary electric fuel pump with alligator clips and fuel line to transfer the fuel into my pick up truck to burn. The truck is much more forgiving of older gas (as long as its not more than a year or so old) so this way I don't have to figure out what to do with 20 gallons of hazardous waste.

5. Banned
    hose & your mouth! Old school!

6. Member
    I don't think I can enter through the fuel fill line, I'm pretty sure there's some kind of anti siphon device in that line. If I entered through the primer bulb does anyone know the size of line to slide in?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    I use an auxiliary electric fuel pump with alligator clips and fuel line to transfer the fuel into my pick up truck to burn. The truck is much more forgiving of older gas (as long as its not more than a year or so old) so this way I don't have to figure out what to do with 20 gallons of hazardous waste.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    This

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

There might be another way..I think it has something to do with positive displacement...If you can remove the vent hose from the thru hull fitting...couple it with a hose barb and extend it till it reaches the ground and use 5 gal can..then remove the gas cap and apply direct air pressure...I used a small wet vac on the blower side....it wont take long..you can use your hands at the filler hole as a way to regulate the airflow...OK...I did it....please completely ignore previous advise...Mud has not kicked in...Cover vent hole.remove fuel line from bulb and extend to gas can...same as above with pressure at gas fill...SORRY
    Last edited by mrblue1122; 03-18-2018 at 05:57 AM. Reason: total brain lapse

9. Member
    Use primer bulb already installed on boat. Take hose off on motor side, add another hose and place in jug on the ground. Burn gas in truck to keep from having to dispose of it.

How old is the gas? Was it treated?

11. Member
    Gas is about 9 months treat with quickcare and quikleen

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moneyshot View Post
    If it was my boat I would ad some fresh gas to it and go fishing. I don't consider 9 month old gas "old."

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moneyshot View Post
    Neither of those is a fuel stabilizer like Quickstore or Stabil. The fuel in the tank will be phase separated. If it were me, I would also be draining it, and not taking a chance.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I used 12v pump, there 100% empty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    hose & your mouth! Old school!

And a beer to rinse your palate ... Dan

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    Use primer bulb already installed on boat. Take hose off on motor side, add another hose and place in jug on the ground. Burn gas in truck to keep from having to dispose of it.
    This is as easy as anything. Give the bulb a few squeezes and let gravity do the rest.
    Dave