175 pro xs now 175 sho

I have owned a boat of some kind for 35 years evinrudes and Johnson’s then 4 new Yamaha’s .Besides having cards cleaned twice and a power pack on a evinrude 32 years of just get in them and go fishing . Now new 175 pro xs was a total pain seem like some all the time .Mercury stood behind it great .The even gave me a new motor .The new one was no better than the second one .Traded it in on a 175 sho Boat and motor.I got it nov 22 2015 spent winter and half the season trying to get the rigs to seat in .By the book frist .Then 2 hrs of plowing .Dealer said to do .Then Yamaha said 3 hrs of wide open .Every thing seemed good no more gas in the oil. Took it fishing this last week end.checked the oil yesterday oil is almost full after one day of fishing .What has happened to these new motors .Im sick of it . Can’t buy another one now .As munch as they cost you would expect better...Has any of you had the same luck I have had?

2. Member
    ? Are you drunk?
    2015 189 trx

3. Member
    Change the oil and go run that thing pretty hard for around 30 minutes. Get the heat up and keep it up and it will stop. Sometimes plowing like that isn't good. It's not like the motor is toast. I'm not saying you have to go crazy wide open but keep the rpms in the upper 5k range

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Change the oil and go run that thing pretty hard for around 30 minutes. Get the heat up and keep it up and it will stop. Sometimes plowing like that isn't good. It's not like the motor is toast. I'm not saying you have to go crazy wide open but keep the rpms in the upper 5k range
    This. Plowing is bad, dont know why dealerships recommend it. When you plow you are dumping fuel (as the engine sensors compute there is a large load) yet rpm dosnt get up because you are pushing too much bow/water. This excess fuel and not enough rpm doesnt allow the engine to build heat (not water temp heat, Im talking about cylinder wall heat) which is what you need to get the rings seated.

Run it 5K rpm or higher for a few long runs, the rings will seat. Some SHO owners have reported it taking as much as 75 hours to get fully seated.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    This. Plowing is bad, dont know why dealerships recommend it. When you plow you are dumping fuel (as the engine sensors compute there is a large load) yet rpm dosnt get up because you are pushing too much bow/water. This excess fuel and not enough rpm doesnt allow the engine to build heat (not water temp heat, Im talking about cylinder wall heat) which is what you need to get the rings seated.

Run it 5K rpm or higher for a few long runs, the rings will seat. Some SHO owners have reported it taking as much as 75 hours to get fully seated.
    For .last summer I ran it 3 1/2 hrs at 6000 rpms . Never let up three trips to the lake .Three tanks of gas .Frist tank only lasted 1 hour second two tanks lasted 1 hr 15 min . Yamaha Tec told me to .Thought I was good to go ran from June to fall with no gas in oil .Frist trip to the lake this spring it’s amost on full mark .In was on half

6. Member
    I feel your pain. My 175 SHO is at 60 hrs and still making oil. I haven't tried the 1+ hours of running WOT yet so I guess that's what I'll do next.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickl View Post
    For .last summer I ran it 3 1/2 hrs at 6000 rpms . Never let up three trips to the lake .Three tanks of gas .Frist tank only lasted 1 hour second two tanks lasted 1 hr 15 min . Yamaha Tec told me to .Thought I was good to go ran from June to fall with no gas in oil .Frist trip to the lake this spring it’s amost on full mark .In was on half
    If it didn't make any oil for a few months and then made all that in one trip you've got an issue. What I think happened was the same amount of oil was always in it but depending on a few things it will/can show completely different levels. When you change the oil if you don't do the tilting and turning you won't get all of the oil out. Then you fill it half way. As soon as you run it for a little bit you can tilt it a few times and it will have a decent amount more oil because of what's left in the block. There's always the chance that you glazed the cylinder which will make it extremely hard to break in, or so I've read. If the oil doesn't seem that bad I would drain a little or just change it and check it every trip or every other trip until you know it quit doing it

8. Member
    Feel your pain. First oil change at 3.4hrs.

I did what you did and just kept it at 6000+ rpm.
    Another oil change at 20hrs.

Currently at 87hrs and seems to have calmed down. I make sure to do at least 1 full run during each trip. 6000+ for about 5 min depending on how far I traveled that day.

From reading other posts they recommend
    with warm engine, from stop up to full throttle (6k) for 5 min. Drop off plane, to almost stop then get right back into it 6k for 5 min.
    Run 5-8 times should seat the rings and takes about 45min.
    Does your graph provide engine temp? I think 145 degrees was the magic temp. You may need to wait until the water is warmer to reach that temp.

Have also read the longer it takes the hard it becomes to seat the rings.

Good luck, don't give up.

9. Member
    My sho made a little oil in the first few hours and never made another drop. Like has been said, don't plow it. Trim it up and run it at 5k or more where it's making power. If you give it more throttle and the rpms don't increase accordingly you are essentially flooding the cylinders and it will make oil. When it does that you either need to trim it up more or let off. If you can maybe borrow a pitch smaller prop for a day to make it easier to get the rpms up.
    I have read though that the 175's are tougher to seat than 200 and up.