Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2018 Skeeter trailer issue

I'm going to post here first since it is a Skeeter trailer. I just got my 2018 ZX200 and so far in each of the 3 times I've gone to load the boat on the trailer I have this issue. I idle on to the trailer and the boat seems straight. The bow is still about a foot or a little more from the roller. I make sure the motor is straight and give it a little gas to finish the loading and the boat goes to the left and off the "yellow" roller. If I back it up a little and try again it goes to the left again. So then I turn the motor to the right and it then goes on to the roller in the middle. I tighten the winch and pull out. Then by the time I get home the bow is again off to the left of the middle of the roller even though the winch is still tight. In fact the winch clip seems to be going to far under the roller even though the bow eye is snug against the roller. Never had this issue before. Seems either one of the bunks is crooked or maybe something at the roller. I have no idea but something is not right.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

2. Member
    Try not to put the trailer in so deep. If the nose can swing left or right it’s too deep. You will want over a foot of the center bunks dry before you load. The only times I’ve had mine swing was when I was too deep. It’s a pain because I have to back the boat up, jump out, pull the truck up, then do it all over again.

Also, make sure your bow eye makes contact with the bow roller. If it’s in the V of the roller and cinched tight, I can’t imagine it moving during transit.
    Trailer issues come up so often I made a video. You can pause it a time or two to see how much of my center boards are dry.

3. Member
    Well, after posting I reread your post. You mentioned the bow eye and roller. I almost deleted my post but can’t on this forum. I hope this helps

4. Member
    I doubt its a loading issue for you, and would bet that there is some flaw in the build, but to move after being winched down is crazy.

5. Member
    Stupid they need to be loaded this way. Poorly designed. I have a FX20 so I speak from experience!!

6. Member
    My 2016 ZX200 is very picky about how much trailer is in the water so it will load all the way up and centered, and it varies based on the steepness of the ramp. If I get the trailer depth wrong by more than a couple of inches it is going to be off center (trailer too deep) or it will not push all the way to the bow eye (trailer too shallow). I have learned to do like the video shows and run it up on the bunks, let it get settled and then nudge it up and steer the nose so it gets centered before the final push. I use the trailer clearance light next to the Skeeter cutout as a reference point for the depth of the trailer.

7. Member
    Here is a picture of the bow after I left the lake and stopped. Keep in mind when I pulled out of the water and in the parking lot the bow was in the middle of the roller.

2021 Skeeter ZX225

8. Member
    Have you checked the winch stand after you launch the boat? I’m talking give it a good push/pull and check for play. I’d almost think you have a busted winch stand and it’s moving.

just to be clear, on the back side the bow eye is/was touching the roller, correct?

i would also give the shake test to the front of all bunk boards with the boat off the trailer.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.D. View Post
    Have you checked the winch stand after you launch the boat? I’m talking give it a good push/pull and check for play. I’d almost think you have a busted winch stand and it’s moving.

just to be clear, on the back side the bow eye is/was touching the roller, correct?

i would also give the shake test to the front of all bunk boards with the boat off the trailer.
    Yes, the bow eye is up against the roller and it was in the middle after I finally got the boat on the trailer. As you can see in the picture it is pretty tight. Also, one thing. If you take off the winch strap the bow will actually rise up off the roller even though the boat is not even close to the back of the bunks. Next time I launch I will check the stand and inspect the bunks. I was also thinking of taking a level and tape measure and check what I can as well. My main concern is doing some kind of damage to the boat or trailer before I can take it back to the dealer.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

10. Banned
    It's the bunk alignment and/or position.

11. Member
    bad winch

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Yes, the bow eye is up against the roller and it was in the middle after I finally got the boat on the trailer. As you can see in the picture it is pretty tight. Also, one thing. If you take off the winch strap the bow will actually rise up off the roller even though the boat is not even close to the back of the bunks. Next time I launch I will check the stand and inspect the bunks. I was also thinking of taking a level and tape measure and check what I can as well. My main concern is doing some kind of damage to the boat or trailer before I can take it back to the dealer.
    Either the bunks are too high or angled up too far, the winch/roller is too low, or the winch is too far back and too low.
    How far does the transom hang off the bunks? Zero would be preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    It's the bunk alignment and/or position.
    yeap!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

14. Member
    Well, I found the issue. The bunk support for that bunk is exactly one inch shorter than the support on the other side. So the bunk on that side is off the bottom of the boat by an inch. Also I noticed on the two outside supports on the middle bunks one is a half an inch shorter. That explains why the boat is going to the left. Now how to fix it. Will be contacting the dealer Monday.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

15. Scraps
    Good find. Great boat too.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

16. Banned

17. Member
    and its a SKEETER made trailer?
    surely that cannot be the issue.
    I mean it must be EZ Loaders fault.
    the fact that a human makes it, means there will be issues of some sort no matter boat or trailer or?

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Well, I found the issue. The bunk support for that bunk is exactly one inch shorter than the support on the other side. So the bunk on that side is off the bottom of the boat by an inch. Also I noticed on the two outside supports on the middle bunks one is a half an inch shorter. That explains why the boat is going to the left. Now how to fix it. Will be contacting the dealer Monday.
    Based on the description of the symptoms, it sounds like the short one is the correct height.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwp777 View Post
    and its a SKEETER made trailer?
    surely that cannot be the issue.
    I mean it must be EZ Loaders fault.
    the fact that a human makes it, means there will be issues of some sort no matter boat or trailer or?
    Yes, it's a new Skeeter made trailer. Seems so. When my boat came from the factory there were at least three issues I found (so far) that were factory defects. 1. The passenger seat was loose. They did not get it seated in the bracket correctly. 2. In the port rod box there is a rubber thing that the anchor light goes into. It was mounted to close to the rod organizer so the light could not be stowed. Both of those two issues were easily fixed by the dealer. Not sure what will happen for the trailer since I have not heard from the dealer yet. I also had an issue where the dealer had disconnected all the hoses in the bilge to put in the transducer in the bilge. Well they forgot to hook up the hose that connects to the live well inlet so the first time I launched the boat you can guess what happened. Took me a bit to figure out I had a hose loose. I'm sure all boat manufactures have factory defects but it's not great when you pay a lot of money for a boat and things are not right that any quality control checklist should catch before the boat is shipped.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

20. Member
    where did you purchase the boat?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast