Thread: Spinning reels

Spinning reels

OK so I have $100 burning a hole in my pocket and need a new reel for my drop shot rod ..looking at the okuma rtx or the Abu Garcia revo X or the sx...I know it's a lil more but I can buy it for $100...mostly a shimano guy but my experience with their sub $100 offerings are limited and I prefer the lighter reels..
    no boat, no shoes..no problem :)
    http://instagram.com/78meach

2. Member
    Daiwa Fuego LT.

3. Member
    Agreed, Daiwa Fuego LT. Daiwa is far better especially for lower cost reels than any other brand imo right now.

4. Member
    Was just today reading reviews on the new Abu Garcia spinning reels. Seems they have upped their game. Fishnkamp is one guy I trust that has suggested the RTX a few times. If you are trying to stay with a lighter reel, then the Fuego LT also looks like a good bet. I picked up a BG 1500 for Ned Rigs. It is a heavier reel. Feels like a little tank. Unfortunately have not had a chance to use it. Looks great, tho.

Okuma doesn't get mentioned very often. I have a couple of their higher end casting reels and have been very pleased with them. I'm thinking we have several good choices in the $100 range today. I'd say go with the reel that most interests you. Doubt you will be unhappy with it.

I’m a Shimano guy as well. Have you looked at or tried the Nasci? I haven’t but would like to. I’ve got a 2500 Shimano Symetre on my DS rod and it’s been a great reel. It was $99 I believe but I think the Nasci may have replaced it.

6. Member
    the nasci has a lower gear ratio. if you want faster ratio try the new sedona. i went with ultegra for faster ratio before the sedona was released.

7. Member
    Fuego LT

I used to be a Shimano guy, but the Symetres I had that started binding up within a couple months of being new - all 3 of them - and the way Shimano chose to (not) handle it sent me packing. Agree with the Daiwa suggestions. Consider trying out the BG. I replaced my Symetres with those and after using them for a year, would never even consider buying a more expensive spinning reel.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I used to be a Shimano guy, but the Symetres I had that started binding up within a couple months of being new - all 3 of them - and the way Shimano chose to (not) handle it sent me packing. Agree with the Daiwa suggestions. Consider trying out the BG. I replaced my Symetres with those and after using them for a year, would never even consider buying a more expensive spinning reel.
    Same here....I was a Shimano Symetre/Stradic/Sahara guy for 30 plus years.....gave up because they all bind up when they get wet/rained on.....trying Pflueger this year....

10. Member
    I wont buy another sub $100 Shimano spinner. All the binding issues pertain to the Symetre on down.

11. Member
    PFLUEGERS. President or the President XT are both great reels at good price.
    Please release me,let me go.