Thread: RT178 question

RT178 question

I asked this before, but didn’t get any replies. I am very serious about buying a Ranger RT178 with a Evinrude 75hp ETec. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone with this combination. Is it a good engine?

I can't give any feedback about a evinrude... But if I had it to do all over again I would get the 70 yamaha four stroke
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

3. Member
    My 75 4s merc has been awesome
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

Evinrudes are all Ive ever owned up till the Merc I have now.
    I have never had any trouble with Evinrudes.
    I would have one on this boat now if they would get with the program and make a 4 stroke.
    I have my first 4 stroke motor now and 4 stroke is all I will ever own from here on out.
    Im positive you will like that Etec though.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

5. Member
    From what you describe up there I’d get a brand you could get serviced. My first choice in smaller stuff is always Yamaha F, I bought Mercury 4 stroke because Merc has been real good to me while I was with Cat. My local dealer has good Merc mechanics if I were to have an issue. I had a troublesome Bombardier back in 03 and they couldn’t get it fixed for nothing. That was the end of a long run of OMC for me. For years Suzuki made their 4 strokes.

If you have full confidence in your local dealer then get the Bombardier. Those small ones seem to be great motors.

6. Member
    Loved my 178, it was paired with a Yamaha F70 and was really nice.
    If you have Yamaha service in your area, I'd recommend a hard look.
    I'm not a Bombardier fan. However, it's better than Mercury IMO.

7. Member
    My last boat had a Yamaha on it. It wa a good motor, but it was hard to get it serviced. I have a lot of Evinrude dealers in this area. I have called two to be sure that I will have service support, even if I didn’t purchase the motor from them. Both of them told me, no problem. I will be buying this Ranger out of state. The only Ranger aluminum dealer that I have in my area is Cabela’s, so that is not going to happen. I have the Mercury plant thirty miles to the north and the Evinrude plant fifty miles to the south of me.

8. Member
    I have a 2013 rt178 with a 75hp etec. Second trip out with the boat fished a tourney during a serious rain storm. Not sure what happened but trim relay began acting up and motor would get stuck in the down position. Dealer sent me a new relay and the motor worked and has worked like a champ ever since.

I’ve followed three year/300 hour service schedule and also have run it a couple winters (freezing air temps and 34-38 degree water). I have loved the motor and have never had a problem with it since that relay.

Boat used to top out around 40-41 gps with light load but i’ve been running a 12ft talon with bracket and heavier batteries the last 3 years and now top out around 38. Motor sips gas and people always comment on how quiet it is for a two stroke (not sure how true that is or if it matters).

Hope this helps.

9. Member
    I have a 2018 RT 178 with a Yamaha 75hp and love it. I don't know if your heart's set on Evinrude but you may want to consider Yamaha. I'm sure you can't go wrong either way.

10. Member
    Never seen one with a Evinrude.