For those who have owned both an Eyra and a Pantera 2

Are they more alike or not with regards to ride, fishability, etc. ?

Reason I ask is that at the demo rides today I was able to ride in an Eyra and was shocked at not only how well it rode but at how stable it was at rest, given it's sports car-like heritage. I had basically made up my mind on the new P-Classic, and was satisfied with all it brings to the table, but the ride in the Eyra made me wonder if maybe the P2 wouldn't be more the boat I need than the P-Classic.....IF it is more similiar with regards to all around ride/fishability.

The price of a P-classic with all I would want would probably put me in the same ballpark as the P2, so I really am back on the fence between these two.

Of course I would LOVE to have an Eyra but realistically it's out of the price range I need to stay with....(but God I still want one LOL)

Any feedback from prior owners of these two (P2 /Eyra) would be valuable and highly appreciated by this now, more confused than ever, future BCB owner.

(P.S. Pulling for Steve Kennedy this wknd...War Eagle!! )

2. Member
    I have owned both an Eyra and now a P2.
    =With the Eyra, your definitely aware of it being a larger boat.
    -The overall experience between the two boats is very close.
    -Top speed of course goes to the Eyra.
    -0-60 goes to the P2.
    -Running the bayous in Louisiana they both handled excellent.
    -At rest and fishing, stability goes to the Eyra. The P2 however for a 19 footer compares well. Both respond excellent to TM inputs.
    -The Eyra is the 20 foot sports car, and the P2 is the 19 footer. Best way I can put it.
    I have not rode or fished in a Classic to compare it to the P2.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

3. Member
    Pretty much what I was hoping to hear.

I was suprised at the Eyra in many ways. In the water it looks closer to a 21 or 22 fter, especially next to the Caracal that was there

Be a good week to hit either the Powerball or Mega Millions and make the Eyra doable.

Have you considered a 200 engine on the Eyra. This decision would be one for those keeping their rigs several years. Everyone wants to move to big ponies by nature and the 200 does a fine job. It is another “bridge” aspect of the Eyra.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Have you considered a 200 engine on the Eyra. This decision would be one for those keeping their rigs several years. Everyone wants to move to big ponies by nature and the 200 does a fine job. It is another “bridge” aspect of the Eyra.
    The thought did cross my mind, but in all honesty the Eyra is more boat than I will need. After speaking with more reps on Sunday at the Expo I do think a P2 with a 200 is more in line with what I will fill the bill.

I'd like to thank any and all of the BCB reps and folks I spoke with at the Expo and at the lake for the test rides. All were first class folks and made my decision firm to go with a BassCat. My hats off to all of you.... even my better half was impressed by the honesty and class of those we talked with, and she's a tough one to sway.

6. Member
    I just bought a P2 and am still in the break-in process. I can tell you I am 100% happy with my decision. It is the perfect boat for me. It even fits in my small garage. I just finished my 2nd break in hour. Time to open it up more, can't wait til the 10 hour mark when the double oil stops.

The PII is a fantastic boat, I'm starting to wonder why I sold mine
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by AUTimbo View Post
    The thought did cross my mind, but in all honesty the Eyra is more boat than I will need. After speaking with more reps on Sunday at the Expo I do think a P2 with a 200 is more in line with what I will fill the bill.

I'd like to thank any and all of the BCB reps and folks I spoke with at the Expo and at the lake for the test rides. All were first class folks and made my decision firm to go with a BassCat. My hats off to all of you.... even my better half was impressed by the honesty and class of those we talked with, and she's a tough one to sway.
    Where in upstate SC are you? Be happy to take you out in my P2 so you can get some time behind the TM and see how it fishes on Hartwell.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

9. Member
    I'm in a 99 Cougar DC right now and have owned it since I picked it up as a Demo. I have a 225 Etec on it. See 75mph. Considering when I could get another boat in a few years it would be possibly my 2nd to last or last boat. I'm 50 and keep my boats a good while.

With that said, I'm used to not having all those options these newer Cats have. Things are pretty basic and shallow where I fish in Louisiana bayous. The Cougar SP or trimmed down Eyra seem to be what I would get. A 200 on the Eyra or 225 on Sp would fit me well. Pretty much standard everything would work except I would want 9 inch NMEA 200 graphs, hydraulic plate, aluminum trailer, double console, and step w/pole. I would save by foregoing the 250 engine and those power poles. Seldom use the livewell so no need for fancy pumping.

The Eyra would be my choice right now if I could get one now. I love the looks and the handling features of the Eyra. That ability with that smaller engine is also quite appealing.
    Last edited by BassCatDan; 03-19-2018 at 08:48 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Where in upstate SC are you? Be happy to take you out in my P2 so you can get some time behind the TM and see how it fishes on Hartwell.
    Fountain Inn

Weren't you the P2 guy with the Yammie that has the YouTube vids running up @ Va. I believe? A P2 running Eyra speeds would be one sweet ride, especially with a stock SHO?....(cough...cough)

Fountain Inn

Weren't you the P2 guy with the Yammie that has the YouTube vids running up @ Va. I believe? A P2 running Eyra speeds would be one sweet ride, especially with a stock SHO?....(cough...cough)
    Yep, that's the one, I moved to Hartwell little over a month ago. Fountain Inn isnt too far so let me know when you might be here. I also have the stock ecu which I run most of the time so you can get a sense of the stock performance and ride too. But your original question was about fishability so I figured you'd also like some time on the TM

12. Member
    That sounds like a winner .Will have to take you up on that in the very near future...

That sounds like a winner .Will have to take you up on that in the very near future...
    Send me a PM with what weekend you might want to come over to Hartwell

14. Member
    I've owned both an Eyra and a P2 but my comparison isn't going to do you any good since my Eyra was a '96

On a P2 or a new Classic I'd just say go with the P2. I thought about "upgrading" from my '07 P2 to a new Classic because I really liked the layout and ran that by someone who's opinion I really trust regarding BC boats and he told me to stick with my old P2. P2 is built better and will perform better. Classic is geared towards more of the "first boat" crowd. Basically a stretched Margay.

I can do anything in my P2 that you can do in any brands 20' + boat and set up right it'll run with most 250's.

15. Member
    Great question. I had a 2015 P2 with 200 ProXS then recently purchased a 2018 Eyra with a 250 ProXS. Obviously I love the Eyra and it is a sports car of the 20' boats....but the P2 is a rocket !!!!! Holeshot on a P2 is waayyyyyyyy better than ANY 20' boat !!! The Eyra has about 8 mph on the top end, but it will have to run the P2 down from behind because the P2 will be gone by the time the Eyra planes out. As for fishability....we always fished with 2 people on the front deck in the P2 and it's a very stable platform. Part of the fishing stability is because the boat is narrow....so you really can't get too far off centerline. A P2 handles rough water really well....just drop the nose some when it gets rough. But I will say that the Erya goes thru rough water effortlessly that would have made me tense in the P2. The P2 feels even more sports car like than the Eyra...and it feels a lot lighter. The P2 is a rocket and feels like one. It won't take tight 90's flat out like the Eyra will....but it's probably the most fun to drive boat I've ever been in !
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

16. Member
    I've said for years here that I believe the P-II with a 200 to be the perfect rig for 95% of the nations fishermen. It does everything exceptionally well. The only places I felt my Eyra was a better boat were areas where there is really big water like Toledo Bend, and when I needed to make a really long run at speed. They Eyra is potentially anywhere from 5-10 mph faster on top depending on setups. As far as handling, they handle very similarly considering their size difference. The Eyra is the easiest jump to a 20 footer from a P-2 without a doubt. The P-2 wins in hole shot, ease of maneuvering, Mid range acceleration, and fuel efficiency. It is ridiculous how far you can go on a tank of gas in a P-2. The Eyra wins in Looks, Top end, Rough water, live wells, storage layout, did I say looks, top end, and rough water!! I also believe the Eyra can carve turns better than almost any bass boat out there short of an Allison. It is very sporty in the handling department.

All that being said, I'm getting another Eyra. It fits me perfectly!! I would not hesitate to drop down to a P-2 if I needed to financially!
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.