Ranger RT188 questions for 36 volt trolling motor

Hey all,

i am am in the market for a new tin boat with a 115. I am looking at all options. But, I like the Ranger RT188. I don’t live near a dealer. I was wondering if you can fit 4 batteries in the back? Does anyone have that? I have to have a 36 volt.

thanks

kyle

2. Member
    mine is full with three and PP pump
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

Well, you have picked out a good boat to fish from. Mine is over four years old and fishes X days a week every week of the year. It travels back and forth to Florida once or twice a year. With all that use, it is still in very good shape and I can't remember ever having something that actually had to be fixed on the boat itself or the Yamaha. That's saying a lot considering the use it gets.

I have 3 Optima Blue Top batteries in my boat and I might could squeeze in another...but it would be very close call. They are a little smaller than other batteries I think, but I believe I could arrange them sideways and get in another one. With the wet cells that I pulled out, there would be no way to do it. Another option would be to use one of the storage compartments to the rear on the sides of the rear seat for a battery.

Good luck with the purchase. Mine has been a good boat and motor combo. Troublefree so far, and to me that is important.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

4. Member
    Why do you feel you need a 36V trolling motor? An 80 pound thrust 24V is more than you will ever need in that boat. If you have the money put the ultrex on it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamaman84 View Post
    Why do you feel you need a 36V trolling motor? An 80 pound thrust 24V is more than you will ever need in that boat. If you have the money put the ultrex on it.
    THIS

6. Member
    DIS! Ultrex is AWESOME!!!!
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Best bet for a 36v system is go with lithium. Can't imagine you will be able to fit 4 batteries in the back?
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

8. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    I have 3 group 31 AGM's in the back of mine and there is 0 room left. Lithium would be the only option to keep all in the battery box, other option as mentioned above is moving starter battery to one of the storage compartments.

Another vote for the 80lb 24v Ultrex, love mine.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

9. Banned
    36V on a boat that size/weight is OVERKILL, and a waste of money and extra weight.

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    There are plenty of reasons why someone would want to put a 36V troller on a boat that theoretically doesn't "need" one.

To the OP, can't help with the RT188 but if you're interested in the slightly bigger RT198p, there's a ton of room for 4 Group 31 batteries and a 4 bank MinnKota digital charger.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by bamaman84 View Post
    My triton tin Has 70 lb edge 24...I cant imagine needing a 36volt...heck I ran 21 foot Ranger with an 80lb 24 volt for years.

12. Member
    Probably, fishes electric motor only lakes and wants to maximize speed as well as have enough power to get back.
    I don't always tell people where I fish, but when I do, it's a lie.

13. Member
    Here’s why I would need a 36 volt.
    1. I already have one on my Skeeter 18 footer
    2. I fish lakes with heavy current and heavy vegitation
    3. Camping for a few days with no power.

I could go on and on. Especially with the spot lock, I feel I would drain a 24 volt system. I do on my little boat

I am watching March Madness roundball....so I am also looking here on my tablet more than normal..
    I don't care WHY he wants it....he asked the question and I thought he probably fishes electric only lakes or maybe a river with a current... Whatever...

But like I said above in the rep!y...I am NOT saying they will fit, but you should look at the Optima Blue Top batteries. Some people don't understand them. On some Optimas the cylinders are staggered and make for a different thinner profile.....also they can be mounted in pretty much any direction....sideways or on their end or whatever...you COULD mount them on their side and have one on top of the other if there is enough height -'-and there might be enough for four batteries back there. I have three and with some adjustments, I think I could figure a way to get a fourth in there...

People here sometimes go to the extra measure to prove somebody wrong so I am not saying they WILL fit because my boat is not here and I have not measured. But I THINK I could find a way to get them back there. Also....SO FAR mine have been remarkable as far as how easy and fast they recharge and how long they last and how durable they are....I just wish they still made them in the USA. Before you give up, AT LEAST measure. Remember they can be mounted in pretty much any fashion - on their end or on their side. Maybe on their side, one on top of the other..... They use them in the very high speed electric gocart races and are pretty inventive and space and weight conscious.

I wanted to add that if you go over 80 pounds like the one I have that I would recommend beefing up under the front where the TM mounts. No big deal to do it, but I would.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I am watching March Madness roundball....so I am also looking here on my tablet more than normal..
    I don't care WHY he wants it....he asked the question and I thought he probably fishes electric only lakes or maybe a river with a current... Whatever...

But like I said above in the rep!y...I am NOT saying they will fit, but you should look at the Optima Blue Top batteries. Some people don't understand them. On some Optimas the cylinders are staggered and make for a different thinner profile.....also they can be mounted in pretty much any direction....sideways or on their end or whatever...you COULD mount them on their side and have one on top of the other if there is enough height -'-and there might be enough for four batteries back there. I have three and with some adjustments, I think I could figure a way to get a fourth in there...

People here sometimes go to the extra measure to prove somebody wrong so I am not saying they WILL fit because my boat is not here and I have not measured. But I THINK I could find a way to get them back there. Also....SO FAR mine have been remarkable as far as how easy and fast they recharge and how long they last and how durable they are....I just wish they still made them in the USA. Before you give up, AT LEAST measure. Remember they can be mounted in pretty much any fashion - on their end or on their side. Maybe on their side, one on top of the other..... They use them in the very high speed electric gocart races and are pretty inventive and space and weight conscious.

I wanted to add that if you go over 80 pounds like the one I have that I would recommend beefing up under the front where the TM mounts. No big deal to do it, but I would.
    Excellent info here and I agree about the blue tops. Ive had them in many boats and even have two red tops in my truck right now. Optima makes a good battery and they can fit in places other batts can't.

16. Member
    Would 4 group 24 or 27s fit? Going to a smaller battery might let you squeeze them in.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kfawns View Post
    Here’s why I would need a 36 volt.
    1. I already have one on my Skeeter 18 footer
    2. I fish lakes with heavy current and heavy vegitation
    3. Camping for a few days with no power.

I could go on and on. Especially with the spot lock, I feel I would drain a 24 volt system. I do on my little boat
    hey idk if you ever put one on or not but I just put a 112 on mine and love it. I fish heavy heavy vegetation and a river system. They ended up moving my 4th battery to a back box. Works great.

18. Member

19. Member
    I’m running 36v ultrex on the 188 and love it. All 4 batteries 27series fit in the back with the 3 bank charger.