Question Does Mega have competition now? https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/618945#specs

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/618945#specs

I don't think for a $600 black box - the images are "all that" and could be better, looks like no 455 kHz either...

Let the opinions fly!

Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

2. Member
    Almost looks like they are using blended di. Both pics look a little grainy

3. Member
    Lowrance has just done a major update, we've yet to see how good it really is in real life. Garmin now is upgrading their unit, (Ultra HD) should really be interesting to see how it compares to HB Mega. Hopefully HB will have something new and improved to release soon. Looks like everyone else is still trying to catch up to HB IMO in overall image quality.

4. Member
    It's a decent image, a bit grainy compared to Mega in my opinion. But doesn't matter because if you don't have Lakemaster mapping you'll never find anything anyways - your navionics map will tell you that you're in 44 feet when you're in 4 feet.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

5. Banned
    I ran the Garmins for a year, the high-end units. First they need to fix their Si/Di and then they might have a chance. I seriously doubt they have done that by looking at these images.

I think we have reached the point of diminishing returns on sonar. At the same time I will have the next new thing.... lol

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    I ran the Garmins for a year, the high-end units. First they need to fix their Si/Di and then they might have a chance. I seriously doubt they have done that by looking at these images.

I think we have reached the point of diminishing returns on sonar. At the same time I will have the next new thing.... lol
    What did you feel was wrong with their SI/DI? I really liked my Garmin when I had it. In fact if they had the ultra HD when I was shopping for new units I probably would have gone back to Garmin.

7. Member
    I don’t think it’s all that

8. Banned
    I was in the boat with josh Bertrand all day for bassmaster classic practice wed. Looked pretty darn good from where I was sittin but he wouldn’t let me drive except to put it on the trailer. I shoulda took a better look while I was waiting for him to get the truck

9. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Cool.

It looks better than some of the other stuff out there for sure - but I'm with Carl on the blended DI "look" - we've all seen it...

That and the top end isn't as high of Chirp band.

The 1.17 MHz is still lower than the HB MSI/MDI defaults, and it's only side lobe imaging, the down is topped out @ 880 kHz.

I like to use the top end freq. spectrum in close myself.

Ultra High-Definition ClearVü: 0.8 MHz (800 kHz), CHIRP range: 760-880 kHz

Ultra High-Definition SideVü: 1.2 MHz (1,200 kHz), CHIRP range: 1,060-1,170 kHz
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    What did you feel was wrong with their SI/DI? I really liked my Garmin when I had it. In fact if they had the ultra HD when I was shopping for new units I probably would have gone back to Garmin.
    I thought they were fine until I went out with an Onix.....lol Then I had an Onix in the boat with my Garmin (temp mount from my installer) and that really opened my eyes. I could idle an area, marking brush and stumps with the Onix, then come back through with the Garmin and it was a world of difference. Many things that were easily seen with the Onix I couldn't see with the Garmin. I never saw the fish on the Garmin like I did on the Onix while I had it.

I had to wait about 6 months before I could afford the upgrade from the Garmin and honestly that comparison got in my head. I was always wondering what I was missing..... :-)

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    I thought they were fine until I went out with an Onix.....lol Then I had an Onix in the boat with my Garmin (temp mount from my installer) and that really opened my eyes. I could idle an area, marking brush and stumps with the Onix, then come back through with the Garmin and it was a world of difference. Many things that were easily seen with the Onix I couldn't see with the Garmin. I never saw the fish on the Garmin like I did on the Onix while I had it.

I had to wait about 6 months before I could afford the upgrade from the Garmin and honestly that comparison got in my head. I was always wondering what I was missing..... :-)
    Hummm that is interesting. I had the Garmin 7" Striker 7sv and let it go when I sold my boat. So for the new boat decided to go birds due to mega coming out. My first bird was a helix 7 non mega. I felt like I was getting slightly better results with the Garmin. I also thought the Garmin was way easier to work with right out of the box.

In all fairness though I have not fully learned the ins and outs of the birds. Seems they need more tweaking to provide the best results which I have not fully learned yet.

12. Member
    Who knows, maybe when fine tuned screen shots from users start coming in I will change my mind, but so far not very impressed compared to HB.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by October1 View Post
    Who knows, maybe when fine tuned screen shots from users start coming in I will change my mind, but so far not very impressed compared to HB.
    It will be interesting to see side by side pix of the same structure.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Hummm that is interesting. I had the Garmin 7" Striker 7sv and let it go when I sold my boat. So for the new boat decided to go birds due to mega coming out. My first bird was a helix 7 non mega. I felt like I was getting slightly better results with the Garmin. I also thought the Garmin was way easier to work with right out of the box.

In all fairness though I have not fully learned the ins and outs of the birds. Seems they need more tweaking to provide the best results which I have not fully learned yet.
    I can't comment on the smaller units. The units I hade were the larger touch units.

15. Member
    Fix their pricing and maybe.