Post Garmin ps22 design flaw opinion

I’ve had the ps22 for a couple of months but have finally had a chance to use it lately. The nice feature is being able to adjust it from a front angle view to straight down. However, this is where I think there’s an issue. The set screw in the side doesn’t stay tight. I moved mine to the down position and after several trips the past few weeks the screw came completely out. First let me say, “Yes, it was tightened”. It’s been set for the past month in the down position. This past weekend I was fishing shallow and kept hearing the prop blade hitting something that I thought was the bottom. After raising the motor higher and hearing the sound again I decided to raise the motor and sure enough my ps22 was hanging. Set screw gone. I have a feeling that constant vibration running down the lake, trolling motor vibration and constant movement of the motor created enough vibration to loosen the screw. I thing it should have a design so it can not come completely loose. I’m just hoping I didn’t damage the transducer while the prop from banging it. Now I have to reach out to Garmin for another screw and trust me, I’ll be carrrying an extra. Anyone else notice this?
    Last edited by schilling1; 03-16-2018 at 07:24 AM.

2. Member
    By set screw do you mean the "knob"? Never had my PS21 come loose looks to be the same setup. The threads are really long on that knob, an chance they are bottoming out on something before it tightens on the knob part?

I have a PS21 on the shaft and my screw is very tight. Even hand tightened I sometimes need pliers to loosen. You cant get the knob separately and have to buy the whole mount which is not exactly cheap.

4. Member
    Teflon tape......mine is fine, but have used it in other spots. Instant lock nut.

5. Member
    Never had a problem with mine but I don't use the Garmin mount. On my custom mount I just added a couple of plastic washers and tightened it up so that it takes quite a bit of force to rotate it back and forth. You can find all the knobs you want on ebay. M6x15, 20 or 30 and buy them by the dozen. I'll have to double check the M6 when I get back Saturday or Sunday. Same threads as on the gimbal mount knobs I believe. Pretty sure that's right.

I have used the Garmin shaft mount though, quite extensively, with both the PS21 and PS31. Garmin mounts are tough, very well designed and I don't see them working loose. I don't see how you could give them any harder workout than I have. IMO rock solid.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 03-16-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

I’ve got an extra knob. Bought at Ace hardware.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I've been running Panoptix since the beta testing of the original PS31, never had any issues with the Garmin-supplied mounting hardware, and this is running/fishing in big water/waves with lots of pounding/vibration.
    Garmin Pro Team

8. Member
    I called Garmin Friday as always, I had assistance within a few minutes. The rep said they don’t have the knobs separate but sent me a new mounting bracket. Great customer service. Sounds like it was a fluke deal

9. Member
    Not to hi jack the thread, but I recently added the PS22 TR to my 73SV CHIRP and I’m having problems getting the unit to switch from Forward Vu to DownVu. I have put the unit in a large bucket of water and made the adjustment from Forward to Down but the option to look down still doesn’t display on the screen. Always stuck on the Forward vu setup. Maybe I need to get the boat out onto the lake verify the issue but figured the display would at least present the DownVu option.

Quote Originally Posted by 06x6spdGTO View Post
    Not to hi jack the thread, but I recently added the PS22 TR to my 73SV CHIRP and I’m having problems getting the unit to switch from Forward Vu to DownVu. I have put the unit in a large bucket of water and made the adjustment from Forward to Down but the option to look down still doesn’t display on the screen. Always stuck on the Forward vu setup. Maybe I need to get the boat out onto the lake verify the issue but figured the display would at least present the DownVu option.
    Get the unit on the water. Not in a bucket. Once on the lake if I doesn’t switch for you, do a factory default reset. Ask me how I know!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

11. Banned
    Did you move the transducer to the down position.?