Thread: Charger wiring

Charger wiring

So - I have my new boat. It's half buried in a pile of boxes and wires and tool boxes as I attempt to get it all rigged up.

I unbox my two chargers - both Minn Kota, a Precision 330, and an MK-2-DC alternator charger.

It's a tin boat (mea culpa, forgive me!), so the starting battery is in the rear and the two trolling motor batteries are under the front deck.

I have plenty of room on the starboard side to run cable through the rod locker and such to physically create connections between the batteries and the charger, but - the cords on the chargers aren't long enough. So, my choices are mount them both in the bow and extend the rear cables twice (one for each charger) or mount them both in the stern and extend FOUR cables - one for each bank on the charger.

The bow sounds like the good idea, right? Well, the MK-2-DC has some really heavy duty wiring and a massive 50A fuse in it, so I really don't want to cut that end up. So now we're back to the stern.

Rather than extending all 4 pairs of wires from the two chargers, I got to thinking - Now, I'm no electrician, but it seems to me that since the ring terminals from the chargers are stacked on top of one another on the battery terminal, I should just be able to connect the two chargers together and "extend the battery terminals" back to the rear of the boat and connect the chargers to those extensions, right? Before you guys jump all over me, I'm not a redneck, I'm not going to just twist wire everything together and cover it in a mass of electrical tape and call it good 'nuff. I want to do it right, and I want it to look like a professional install since it is a brand new boat.

I'm thinking I need a terminal block, right? Or, more correctly, two of them - one for each battery, right? So, two of these? https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...erminal+Blocks

Hopefully that's it. Then I just run two pairs of 12AWG wire from the bow batteries back to that terminal block (with fuses at the batteries on both positive/negative since it's a 24V system), wire the batteries to the terminal blocks, and then connect both the chargers to the terminal blocks and I'm done, right? Only one of the chargers will ever be energized at one time since one operates while the outboard is running and the other operates while I'm plugged into AC, so I'm not anticipating any problems there (plus I can't be the first guy to ever do this).

Please tell me I'm on the right track? Also, if there's anything else you guys would recommend that I do instead of/in addition to this solution, that would be great.

I will not be powering anything off these terminal blocks, only connecting the chargers. The trolling motor batteries are for dedicated use with the trolling motor.

If you made it this far, sorry I was so wordy, and thanks for reading all the way through! Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have!

2. Member
    As I read your post, the thought of a terminal block came to mind. From what I've heard the terminal ends of some battery chargers are necessary to aid in sensing, so using a terminal block would keep those. I wouldn't fuse the added wires going forward, they should be protected by the charger, however you must use care in installing a terminal block. I would mount it on a piece of Azek board or other PVC board so if moisture gets behind it the back of the board won't short out, and use a cover if possible.

3. Member
    MK offers extension cables for most of their chargers.

https://www.amazon.com/Minnkota-1820.../dp/B001PTHKLM

My MK chargers all have a fuses at the battery terminal.

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinpruett View Post

Correct. Not good to disregard the need of fuses. The charger has no way of protecting the charging wires.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinpruett View Post

I'm not buying $130 worth of cabling that just needs to be spliced in anyway. Sorry, should have mentioned that in my original post since I did find those myself.

6. Member
    I ended up buying two of these: https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ble+Connectors

Should work out great, I think.