2006 optimax 150hp strainer cleaning?

Eng s.n 1B274973. I was wondering if this is on the port side and do you have to take lower cowl off? Also I know you need the special tie wrap but do you need a cable tie gun to install it? Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Best to remove port lower cowling.

Yes, one 816311T tie wrap is required.

No "gun" required- you can install it manually.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I went to my local shop and they didn’t have a clue about that tie wrap, I guess that I will have to find an alternative way to secure my hose back.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not a bad idea to get with Rhonda and have her send you a few of them (something you should always have on hand... they're used all over that engine).

BTW... if you need assistance, it's not that far up here to Greenville.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Got it done. Mine was as clean as could be.

6. Member
    How hard was it to remove the lower cowling? I struggled to figure it out.

7. Member
    Not bad once you find out where the four screws are. You will need a wobble socket to be able to get to all screws.