SPARK PLUGS AND OIL

My 90 hp 2002 Merc. carb'ed motor is fowling plugs every 8-10 trips. would going to Synthetic oil help at all ?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Synthetic BLEND, perhaps (such as Mercury or Quicksilver Premium PLUS).

What oil are you running?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Synthetic blend

4. Member
    engine may be running to rich at low speed/ are you idleing a lot ????? may need carbs adjusted/does it smoke bad at idle speeds????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    That could be possible, I have rebuilt the carb's and put a kit in the fuel pump. Timed the carb's and adjusted the air idle screws. The top 2 carb's are very responsive but the lower carb has some but little compared to the top two. At times it does smoke excessive and as for idleing, no more than I need to. I also timed the butterflies. I'm at a loss...

6. Member
    which plug fouls?????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    I don’t want to guess and I didn’t think to mark them as they were removed. My stupidity but thanks for the reminder. When I do isolate the cylinder will that indicate which carb I need to work on ? And thanks again for the help.

8. Member
    yes sir or possibly other problem that may exist,fuel pump,reed,or spark problem

9. Member
    Fuel pump doubtful rebuilt with new kit, reed plate,very possible and spark is a strong blue indication. What’s driving me crazy is it runs so strong above idle.

10. Member
    lean it down as much as you can at idle with mixture screws usually around 1 1/4 turns out as long as it doesn't bog on take off your good

11. Member
    Will do, I'll let you know how it turns out next time out, this week-end.