What size metal flake?

Have a 91 champ looking to put new metal flake and gel coat on, wondering what size flake are put on these boat?
    Flake looks to be pretty small, I see most places Carry's .004",.008" and bigger, anyone knows?

Flake on my boat looks to be the .004" but I have no way of measuring.

There's a thread over on the Champion forum you'll want to look at, regarding polyflake size, color, and suppliers:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=746045

They list Mini-craft and Polycryl as potential suppliers.

This is from the Mini-craft website:
    http://www.minicraft.com/champion-bass-boats

3. Member
    it'll be .008, .015 or .025. If you have a known size flake you can use a magnifying glass to distinguish them.

4. Member
    Anyone know where I can get good clear gel coat? Also do they make a color dye for the clear coat? The clear coat on my boat looks to be dyed in a transparent red color

Are you talkin about clear gel...?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    Yes clear gel coat

You can buy from Spectrum..US Composites may have clear not sure. I’ve never seen clear gel with a tint not saying you don’t have it.
    www.ncboatguy.com

8. Member
    You can add a pigment to clear gel coat, one company offers over 700 different color shades of gel coat.

Quote Originally Posted by scottsdale816 View Post
    You can add a pigment to clear gel coat, one company offers over 700 different color shades of gel coat.
    In most cases those 700 shades are used to “add to” a solid gel color to match a color. If I were the OP I would make certain my clear gel was indeed tented....before I did any spraying...
    www.ncboatguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    In most cases those 700 shades are used to “add to” a solid gel color to match a color. If I were the OP I would make certain my clear gel was indeed tented....before I did any spraying...
    ^^This! Especially since first post mentioned polyflake. The color of the boat generally comes from the polyflake colors (and amount of flake), and in some cases, enhanced by the base resin color tint. E.g., Base resin might be tinted black, or maybe red, then polyflake and clear gel coat. Light going through the clear gel coat, dancing off the red polyflake likely makes the gelcoat appear tinted red.