Garmin navigation charts

In December I bought a 93sv EchoMAP chirp and a 73dv echoMAP chirp. The 93 right out of the box didnt show contours, depth shading, depth or anything but a white screen with broken navigation lines and buoys on the navigational chart. The 73 showed everything perfectly. Garmin tech support suggested updating to the 2017 map, I did and the results are the same. After 4 more calls they are saying the 2017 map update took all of the contours etc away and added it to the fishing chart which renders the navigation chart useless. My question to them was why didn’t it work with the 2016 map? They have no explanation. I don’t have the exact version of the 2016 map and they are dumbfounded. Anyone have any advice or similar experiences? I feel like I have a defective unit but they disagree.

2. Member
    Steve- thanks for explaining. I bought a 93sv in October and found the same. I didn't send them a screen shot but glad you passed along the same. I should have bought the 94sv as it also includes contours like the 73sv.

3. Member
    Did they tell you just to use the fishing chart? I told them my OCD gave me fits using a fishing chart to drive 70 mph down a lake.

4. Member
    Ha! I would be happy with a G2HD map card to get me by.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post
    In December I bought a 93sv EchoMAP chirp and a 73dv echoMAP chirp. The 93 right out of the box didnt show contours, depth shading, depth or anything but a white screen with broken navigation lines and buoys on the navigational chart. The 73 showed everything perfectly. Garmin tech support suggested updating to the 2017 map, I did and the results are the same. After 4 more calls they are saying the 2017 map update took all of the contours etc away and added it to the fishing chart which renders the navigation chart useless. My question to them was why didn’t it work with the 2016 map? They have no explanation. I don’t have the exact version of the 2016 map and they are dumbfounded. Anyone have any advice or similar experiences? I feel like I have a defective unit but they disagree.
    Regarding the Navigation & Fishing Chart views, a software update moved the detailed contours over from the Nav Chart to the Fishing Chart, but only if you are running 2017 or later LakeVu mapping.
    Garmin Pro Team

6. Member
    So when you use quickdraw contours do the contour lines show up on the fishing chart or the navigation chart?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDBASSNPRO View Post
    Steve- thanks for explaining. I bought a 93sv in October and found the same. I didn't send them a screen shot but glad you passed along the same. I should have bought the 94sv as it also includes contours like the 73sv.

So so does this mean that the 93sv does NOT have mapping features ???

8. Member
    I just updated to the 2018 maps and the 1' contour lines are now gone? I have the 93sv and the update was too large for the unit so it has to run off the card in the reader. The only way to get the 1' contours back is to take the card out of the card slot. Am I missing something? I don't see any reason to update to 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfish View Post
    I just updated to the 2018 maps and the 1' contour lines are now gone? I have the 93sv and the update was too large for the unit so it has to run off the card in the reader. The only way to get the 1' contours back is to take the card out of the card slot. Am I missing something? I don't see any reason to update to 2018.
    When you are trying to read the 2018 LakeVu mapping off the card, are you looking at the Nav Chart or Fishing Chart?
    Garmin Pro Team

10. Member
    Todd I think it was the Nav. Chart?

Quote Originally Posted by shelfish View Post
    Todd I think it was the Nav. Chart?
    Try the Fishing Chart.
    Garmin Pro Team

12. Member
    Thanks Todd will do as soon as I can