Trim quit working '15 merc 115 4 stroke

Trim quit working. I'm pretty sure it's bad relays since the batteries are good and the boat is only 3 years old. Took the cover off to get to the relays and now I can't figure out how to get the relays off. Heeelp...Is this something I can do myself or should I run it in to the shop? Need to change the oil too but I think I can figure that one out on my own.
    2015 basstracker 190 txw
    Helix 7 console
    Helix 10 bow
    Minn kota ulterra

Mine ('15 115) went bad, too. Wouldnt trim down unless I came off plane and idled. Mercury replaced it under warranty last year. If your warranty is still intact you should take it to the shop and have it replaced.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TnRick View Post
    Trim quit working. I'm pretty sure it's bad relays since the batteries are good and the boat is only 3 years old. Took the cover off to get to the relays and now I can't figure out how to get the relays off. Heeelp...Is this something I can do myself or should I run it in to the shop? Need to change the oil too but I think I can figure that one out on my own.
    Please take a few minutes to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Does ANYTHING run or happen when you press ANY of the trim switches?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    They just click when I press the up or down trim switch on the motor or on the throttle. It's a 2015 mercury 115 4 stroke. It's got on it the stock prop. I don't know the serial number right off hand. That's all the info I can give at the moment.

Serial # bt40761204 ccbaa

Inside the motor?
    Last edited by TnRick; 03-15-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    2015 basstracker 190 txw
    Helix 7 console
    Helix 10 bow
    Minn kota ulterra

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not sure what number that is (just that it's not an engine serial number).

Would need to test the 12V outputs from the Relays (verify it's outputs "should" power the trim motor, or are failing to provide power).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Tested with my battery tester on those inputs to the relay. Read 11.98 on tester. On both relays.
    Last edited by TnRick; 03-16-2018 at 05:31 PM.
    2015 basstracker 190 txw
    Helix 7 console
    Helix 10 bow
    Minn kota ulterra

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And the OUTPUT voltage to the trim motor?

8. Member
    Where do I test That? I see the motor but where do I test?
    2015 basstracker 190 txw
    Helix 7 console
    Helix 10 bow
    Minn kota ulterra

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Large blue and Large Green wires leaving the relays. Though they may change colors, those two wires run all the way into the trim motor.