Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Well I thought I would get out early and get in one more day of fishing before going to the Classic. Get back and everybody but me has seen the latest Garmin imaging product. Still going down tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    EchoMap Plus 93 is like $900, plus the $600 for this add-on, or you could get a Humminbird Helix 9 Mega SI w/ transducer for $1100.

If you want to stick with Garmin and add it on, sure, might be worth it. If you're in the market for a new unit with Mega imaging I don't see the value. Unless Garmin starts bundling it with a 9" unit for around $1100.
    You have a point. It's not an apples to apples comparison. echomap Plus 93sv also Panoptix compatible. And you're right, if you were shopping for a new unit and main purpose was MEGA the Bird is cheaper. If I was shopping for a new unit #1 would be Panoptix, #2 - 2d #3 SI-455, #4 DI, #5 MEGA.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

2. Banned
    it’ll be built in soon enough

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Well I thought I would get out early and get in one more day of fishing before going to the Classic. Get back and everybody but me has seen the latest Garmin imaging product. Still going down tomorrow.

You have a point. It's not an apples to apples comparison. echomap Plus 93sv also Panoptix compatible. And you're right, if you were shopping for a new unit and main purpose was MEGA the Bird is cheaper. If I was shopping for a new unit #1 would be Panoptix, #2 - 2d #3 SI-455, #4 DI, #5 MEGA.
    For me, at least for a console unit, it's
    #1 Mapping
    #2 SI (with or without mega, I need good soft returns on fish)
    #3 2D
    #4 DI (with or without mega, I need good soft returns on fish)
    #5 Panoptix

I tourney fish. Mapping is most important for finding similar bank contours to follow patterns. I need really good SI for finding structure, getting good soft returns on fish is a bonus. And so far HB's Mega does it the best. If Garmin's Ultra is anything like Mega then I'll buy it to supplement my console unit. If it's all hype and turns out to be shit like the current SI/DI from Garmin then I'll be dropping Garmin and going HB.

4. Member
    Reminds me of a story my Dad used to tell. This guy was talking about his wife and said he was sure glad everybody was different because if everybody was like him they would all want his wife. His friend replied - And I'm glad everybody is different because if everybody was like me, nobody would have her.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member

Dimensions

TroyBoy30 or Todd. Do you have the dimensions of this new UHD transducer. Especially how long?

#1 Mapping
    #3 2D
    #5 Panoptix

I tourney fish. Mapping is most important for finding similar bank contours to follow patterns. I need really good SI for finding structure, getting good soft returns on fish is a bonus. And so far HB's Mega does it the best. If Garmin's Ultra is anything like Mega then I'll buy it to supplement my console unit. If it's all hype and turns out to be shit like the current SI/DI from Garmin then I'll be dropping Garmin and going HB.
    If what I have heard is correct the Garmin Ultra has no Equal. In the coming months I’m sure this will become very apparent.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    it’ll be built in soon enough
    Before the end of the month?

8. Banned
    Doubt it lol

9. Member
    #5 Panoptix

turns out to be shit like the current SI/DI from Garmin then I'll be dropping Garmin and going HB.
    Thanks for the critical comment! Why do you consider Panoptix so relatively unimportant? It seems everybody is totally hyped about it.
    And also: there are quite a lot of people calling current Garmin SI shit. Plus, very few really telling screenshots exist, much unlike to HB. Not even Garmin has decent shots on their website. What exactly is the problem with current SideVü? From specs alone it should be better than regular HB or Navico SI. I'd really appreciate if you could elaborate a bit more on the downsides as they are usually swept under the rug if one has shelled out so much cash for the toy.

10. Member
    Kansas plates on the trailer?

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

11. Member
    Have to see real video before I ditch the mega. Would have been nice to know last month, I called and asked them point blank if anything was in the pipeline.

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusflyr View Post
    Have to see real video before I ditch the mega. Would have been nice to know last month, I called and asked them point blank if anything was in the pipeline.
    You really think they will tell you??? Only way you find out before hand is from rumors or someone in the know tells you......otherwise you will not know until the day of....just the way it is.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

13. Member
    Why would you ditch he Mega? So far there is no conclusive demonstration of what it can do, not even speaking of a comparison. HB has been in the Sidescan business forever and the Mega units certainly deliver all that the hardware constraints allow for. They use transducers of similar length, chirp, the same power and the same frequency (1.2 MHz). Short of post-processing, there is no way how any manufacturer could come up with anything fundamentally better using virtually the same setup, because physics!

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    If what I have heard is correct the Garmin Ultra has no Equal. In the coming months I’m sure this will become very apparent.
    Can you elaborate on that some more???
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

15. Member
    Well, I don't have anything new to report from the Classic. Met a guy named Greg at the Garmin booth. Seemed to really know his stuff, but not a hint about anything not announced. He did go into some detail about the extra engineering that went into elements in the new UHD xd. It looks to be about 6 1/2 inches in length. I didn't measure but it's not nearly as long as the 50 or 51.

16. Member
    Which is strange. Calculating from the specs of the GT50, the elements themselves should be exactly the same length. Maybe in the 50 the 2D takes up some length.

I'm in this camp when at the helm.

#1 Mapping
    #3 2D
    #5 Panoptix

18. Banned
    I always had good soft returns with the gt52. That’s what it was designed for

Mapping was excellent on lanier that’s why my only two options are garmin or lakemaster. Both excellent maps

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fischbear View Post
    Thanks for the critical comment! Why do you consider Panoptix so relatively unimportant? It seems everybody is totally hyped about it.
    And also: there are quite a lot of people calling current Garmin SI shit. Plus, very few really telling screenshots exist, much unlike to HB. Not even Garmin has decent shots on their website. What exactly is the problem with current SideVü? From specs alone it should be better than regular HB or Navico SI. I'd really appreciate if you could elaborate a bit more on the downsides as they are usually swept under the rug if one has shelled out so much cash for the toy.
    It's relatively unimportant to me as a tourney fisherman because I don't want to spend the time video game fishing. I just need to know the fish are there. I'll swing back and catch them.

My opinion, my old, cheap ass, Humminbird 698ci HD SI has better soft returns on side and down imaging than my Garmin 7608xsv w/ GT52 transducer. I can see structure fine on the Garmin, just not fish. Not like the much older, smaller Humminbird. Again. Both are currently on my boat. So I have an apples to apples comparison. Having spent a year trying to dial in this Garmin I just don't see it being that good.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    I always had good soft returns with the gt52. That’s what it was designed for

Mapping was excellent on lanier that’s why my only two options are garmin or lakemaster. Both excellent maps
    I get terrible soft returns with my 7608 and GT52. Over a year dicking with it and still it sucks.

I will say mapping is great, for the lakes they actually cover. Garmin's coverage in NC is terrible, at best. An entire chain of lakes, one of which the Classic was on, has zero contour lines. Navionics covers all 4 lakes in the chain with full contours. But Garmin does have full contours on a local lake, that is small as hell and a powerless lake. That's awesome, let me tell you. I have contours on a lake I can't put my boat in.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast