Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Garmin introduces the Ultra High-Definition Scanning Sonar System

Lookie lookie

I was paired with Josh Bertrand yesterday for the last day of bassmaster classic practice and he’s running he gcv20 black box and gt34uhd transducer. He was running it on his 7600 series units. I didn’t get to sit in the drivers sit but watched as much as I could from the co-pilot seat. Unit listed it as 1120 kHz and gcv20. Returns were drastically improved from what I could see but I was at an obvious angle.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/61...e&utm_content=

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/626121

See the stunning difference in clarity between standard scanning sonar on the left and Ultra High-Definition ClearVü scanning sonar on the right.

- Ultra High-Definition scanning sonar system provides crisp images of structure and fish in stunning detail
    - Ultra High-Definition ClearVü sonar provides brilliant image clarity of structure and fish up to 200’ deep below your boat
    - Ultra High-Definition SideVü sonar delivers stunningly clear images of structure and fish off to the sides of your boat
    - System includes easy-to-install, networkable GCV™ 20 sonar black box with three-array transducer; includes transom and trolling motor mounts
    - Share seamlessly across multiple networked chartplotters as well as networking Panoptix™ all-seeing sonar

Ultra High-Definition ClearVü Scanning

This sonar system provides brilliant image clarity of structure and fish below your boat at greater depths than other high-frequency scanning sonars by putting more power on targets via a downward-facing element.

Ultra High-Definition ClearVü: 0.8 MHz (800 kHz), CHIRP range: 760-880 kHz
    Ultra High-Definition SideVü: 1.2 MHz (1,200 kHz), CHIRP range: 1,060-1,170 kHz
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 03-15-2018 at 06:40 AM.

2. Banned
    At least it's compatible with existing units. This is good news. $600 is kind of steep though.

3. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    This is badass!!! Glad they made it compatible with the echomap plus series.

4. Member
    Really mixed feelings on this. Relieved that it is not tempting me to upgrade my present system.Impressed by basic technology. Cannot not see how it would improve fish finding and ID any.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

5. Banned
    It might be worth it for more expensive units, 7600 series and such. But if you have a Echo series I just don't see the value. Not when you can get a Humminbird Helix 9 Mega SI for $1100.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    At least it's compatible with existing units. This is good news. $600 is kind of steep though.
    Thats the "normal" price.....Lowrance LSS 1 and Structure Scan HD were $600 when they came out plus the HDS unit you had to use to run it.....Now look at Structure Scan 3D, $900 and you get the range but not the "High Def" plus 3D which looks like crap (IMO) of course they just came out with a software release to compete with the "Mega" units.....i'd say it about in line with the others.....

If it looks that good on my boat i could see myself switching over.....using the EchoPlus recently that was one complaint, the downvu and side vu isnt as clear as my Structure Scan HD.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Thats the "normal" price.....Lowrance LSS 1 and Structure Scan HD were $600 when they came out plus the HDS unit you had to use to run it.....Now look at Structure Scan 3D, $900 and you get the range but not the "High Def" plus 3D which looks like crap (IMO) of course they just came out with a software release to compete with the "Mega" units.....i'd say it about in line with the others.....

If it looks that good on my boat i could see myself switching over.....using the EchoPlus recently that was one complaint, the downvu and side vu isnt as clear as my Structure Scan HD.
    EchoMap Plus 93 is like $900, plus the $600 for this add-on, or you could get a Humminbird Helix 9 Mega SI w/ transducer for $1100.

If you want to stick with Garmin and add it on, sure, might be worth it. If you're in the market for a new unit with Mega imaging I don't see the value. Unless Garmin starts bundling it with a 9" unit for around $1100.

8. Member
    cant wait to see some comparison w the mega. Troy has seen both now...what you think?

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    That's a $400 difference....maybe that price is the difference between the Touch screen and Panoptix that Helix dont have......you will always have a brand do one thing that the other cant do....IMO, what we pay for these toys, $400 is not that big of a difference.....thats just me......

10. Member
    The beam is exceptionally narrow. 0.45°. Main question would be, what the 50° angle in the other direction entails. Most likely fairly reduced useful range, just as HB Mega...
    The biggest downside I would see currently: no lower frequency modes for extended range and no support for 2D sonar. What should people do? Put 5 transducers next to each other and have three black boxes?

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fischbear View Post
    The beam is exceptionally narrow. 0.45°. Main question would be, what the 50° angle in the other direction entails. Most likely fairly reduced useful range, just as HB Mega...
    The biggest downside I would see currently: no lower frequency modes for extended range and no support for 2D sonar. What should people do? Put 5 transducers next to each other and have three black boxes?
    I see this as more of an "add on" and not a replacement for your regular transducer.

12. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    EchoMap Plus 93 is like $900, plus the $600 for this add-on, or you could get a Humminbird Helix 9 Mega SI w/ transducer for $1100.

If you want to stick with Garmin and add it on, sure, might be worth it. If you're in the market for a new unit with Mega imaging I don't see the value. Unless Garmin starts bundling it with a 9" unit for around $1100.
    This is for sharing sonar across multiple units....I for one can't wait to get one.

13. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fischbear View Post
    What should people do? Put 5 transducers next to each other and have three black boxes?
    No, install the UHD ducer and add the 2d shoot thru ducer to the bilge area......same scenario as with the down/side vu ducer on jp and 2d sonar in the bilge.... All brands have the option.....

14. Member
    Thru-hull is no option for my boat. No bilge area access. It would have been nice if they included a 2D element, or at least have the box support one.
    But the other issue is that 1,2 MHz as single frequency isn't that great. I'd definitely want an option of going lower to see further. Garmin claims 120 feet, just as HB, and if that translates to the same real world performance, it's only good for hard bottom, shallow water, close to boat situations:

(At 3:30 direct comparison between S3D and Mega)

What this means is that one doesn't just need an additional 2D, but also keep the present scanning transducer. Making it 4-5 ducers with Panoptix. Nightmare!

Regarding image quality, it looks kind of better than current models, but with the few screenies they show it's hard to tell. I mean, just compare the websites:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/618945
    vs
    https://www.humminbird.com/MEGA/

15. Member
    This will make me want to ditch my Lowrances and put Garmins back on the console!
    sadly it will have to be a next year thing.... an ultrex is thus years purchase
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

16. Member
    Now they need to release an Echomap 123 sv!

Might be time to get rid of the Lowrance at the console and do a full upgrade.

17. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    That's what I'm saying!!!

18. Banned
    I tried to get you guys some pics but I haven’t been able to ask about how these are set up. I know josh has both but is running just the new transducer. He was running 100 feet no prob. Same as mega. I have had no issues streatching it out to 120 ft

19. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    a 12" unit with full ethernet sharing, panoptix and UHD would be all i need!!! that would be a sweet setup.....

20. Banned

Hackneys boat

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast