Thread: Voltage issue

Voltage issue

2B529236

Just had a new 2018 250 pro xs installed on my boat. First time I put it in the water I'm getting a voltage warning 602-5. Sensor supply voltage B. Showing 14.2 volts on vessel view mobile with the engine running. Battery showing 12.85 volts with a multi meter and the key turned off. Everytime I go to get on plane or make a turn I get this alarm. Never got any alarms with the previous 2012 250 Pro XS. Battery is a 4 month old Duracell 31 agm starting battery.

2. Member
    2018 is under warranty, so have the problem documented and diagnosed by the Dealer.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... this type of voltage problem is critical, and should be dealt with before the boat is run again.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Going to be several weeks before the shop can look at it. Is there any certain connections I could look for to be causing this voltage issue.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's going to be a 5V problem, more than likely (not something in the 12V system). A visual inspection for pinched or damaged wiring, inside the cowling is about all you would be able to do currently.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Finally got my boat in the shop. When I had a dealer install my new motor they hooked up a wire from the trim sending unit to a 5v wire coming off the ECM. Burnt the trim sending unit up. Needless to say I'm furious and praying that the dealership that done it picks up the expense.

7. Member
    Sounds like an honest dealer if they owned up to it! They will make it right.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dockman View Post
    Sounds like an honest dealer if they owned up to it! They will make it right.

That's not what he said......."praying that the dealership that done it picks up the expense".

The installation Dealer is not the Dealer that is working on it now.