Nitro Z20 opinions? Pro package!

What are you guys take on a 2018 Nitro Z20 Pro package? The price on these boats are very tempting. 10 to 20k less than the equivalent size boat in other brands. Lowrance elite 12 and 9, dual poles, ventilation system, ezstart system, and can add the ultrex, albeit you still have to buy the fortrex as well (package deal). I hear horror stories about nitro, but I have alos heard of some happy guys with them.

2. Member
    I hate that they went to Elite units from HDS units even though they went with bigger console screen size. Other than that, great boat, great price. You'll hear horror stories about any brand. Take into account how many units are sold per brand and thus ratio of complaints. People typically don't get near as vocal when they're satisfied with their purchase as opposed to when they're pissed off. Bass boat owners are a lot like full sized pickup truck owners, some people are extremely loyal to their brand and love to take every opportunity to bash everything other than their choice.

3. Member
    I'm not brand loyal on boats. But my 2000 purebay is kinda slow compared to any bass boat. Time to get me a bass boat as I like fishing tournaments. I have friends and family with bay boats who can take me to the salt once in a while. That z20 is beautiful. Do I think the Phoenix boats are nicer, yeah, but 10k plus nicer, no. I think the nitro and Phoenix have the 2 best live Well setups out there. I can get the nitro otd with extra console for 63500 before trade

4. Member
    Look at the Z21 and Z20 Pro packages very close. There is a big difference in what comes on the Z21 and what is options at extra cost on the Z20. Storage drawer and fiberglass fenders, oxygen generators will just get you started in differences. The 250 Pro XS costs more to add on a Z20 for some reason and people never notice or talk about these differences. Put a list side by side and start adding options to equal the Z21 and see what it costs.
    Last edited by zeke4351; 03-15-2018 at 12:00 AM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendragon View Post
    I'm not brand loyal on boats. But my 2000 purebay is kinda slow compared to any bass boat. Time to get me a bass boat as I like fishing tournaments. I have friends and family with bay boats who can take me to the salt once in a while. That z20 is beautiful. Do I think the Phoenix boats are nicer, yeah, but 10k plus nicer, no. I think the nitro and Phoenix have the 2 best live Well setups out there. I can get the nitro otd with extra console for 63500 before trade
    Seems a little high. Shop around there are still 2017 leftovers out there. I picked up the boat in my sig new 2017 Z21 Pro Package for 58K including tax, dealer prep and + 4 years mercury platinum extended warranty (7 years total)

Similar deals can be found on the 2017 leftover birds with the price scaled accordingly from base but they are harder to find because their are just less around and its dealers choice if or how much they want to mark em down.

Either way Z20, Z21, Phoenix or Nitro will get you going into the tournament scene just fine.
    Last edited by Sun Fish; 03-15-2018 at 01:36 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    Look at the Z21 and Z20 Pro packages very close. There is a big difference in what comes on the Z21 and what is options at extra cost on the Z20. Storage drawer and fiberglass fenders, oxygen generators will just get you started in differences. The 250 Pro XS costs more to add on a Z20 for some reason and people never notice or talk about these differences. Put a list side by side and start adding options to equal the Z21 and see what it costs.
    This is true also, including little things like F2 winch and jack standard. The Z20 is a fine boat though and great deals can be found on them as well.

7. Member
    That's also adding an ultrex. They won't upgrade the fortex on their pro package. So basically have 2 tm's

8. Member
    I've owned 3 Nitro's over the last 17 years. A 901, Z-8, and now a Z20. I have yet to ever had a problem with one, and I don't baby them. I fish allot of tournaments in all weather so they take a beating. But I have NEVER had an issue with one. So don't let any of the Bull about them being juck scare you. Anyone that's saying that have never fished or been in one. Yes the Old Nitro's of the 70s and early 80s weren't the best, but Nitro's are now about as good as anything out there. Yes some like Ranger, Skeeter might have a little higher quality carpet and little things, but is it 20 grand more??? That's up to you, but I have never been disappointed with my Nitro. My best friend is a Ranger guy and always thought Nitro's were junk until he fished and rode in mine. He has changed his opinion and thinks his next will be a Nitro.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendragon View Post
    That's also adding an ultrex. They won't upgrade the fortex on their pro package. So basically have 2 tm's
    Exactly what I did. Ive had TM failure at the worst times during and right before tournaments so Im going to carry that Fortrex with me as a spare lol

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Fish View Post
    This is true also, including little things like F2 winch and jack standard. The Z20 is a fine boat though and great deals can be found on them as well.
    I did just that. The z20 pro does not have the storage drawer, nor the oxygenators. I can get a Z21 (non pro) with the ultrex and add the poles and finders for 3k more. it has the console and the middle seat and oxys.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    This!

OTOH, it's not hard to find a 2~3 year old Z21 with the motor still under warranty, and let the other guy take the depreciation hit. Buying new because of want, vs need is what dealers live on. As I used to tell my Home Theater clients when they'd ask why they should spend $80K instead of $50K on a system "Nothing is expensive if you *WANT* it. You just have to quantify your *LEVEL* of 'want'."

I know my Z9 is worth more now than I paid for it. Of course I put HDS Gen 3's on it, Oznium LED's, and a NightFishion HD8 rub rail. Just popped for dual Blade 10's on it this week as well. Would like to have a new one, but not to the tune of making payments. My ol' girl was paid for before I hooked it to the truck and makes fishing a lot less stressful for sure.

I'd absolutely love to have new Z21 seats in mine though. There was a guy on FB that pulled his out and sold them last week for $85 ea and I was too late to get the deal. (wrong color though, but close enough)

As for folks talking about brand X vs Nitro. Well, whatever helps ya' sleep at night. Everything on mine works, and quite a lot of it is made by the same manufacturers as other brands use. Will a Nitro be worth as much as a Ranger when it's 20 years old? Of course not. But then again, it didn't cost near as much to begin with. Take that extra 10, 15, 20K over the course of 20 years and spend it on fishin'!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

12. Member
    BTW, I am waiting on the dealer to call me when the new Z21 is ready! Approved and waiting for the call to bring my boat in and sign for the new one!!!! Longest wait of my life!