250-3000 savage bullet

I have come across a rifle that shoots a 250-3000 savage bullet. Can anybody tell me anything about this caliber. I can't seem to find any ammo locally. Is this an odd ball caliber? Thanks for any info.

2. Member
    AKA 250 savage. A great deer cartridge. As long as the twist works a 100gr bullet is optimal. Plain old core lokts will work well. 4895 is a good powder to start with.

The first cartridge to break 3000 FPS, Savage done it by dropping bullet weight until it broke 3000 FPS, I believe they done it with an 87 grain bullet. The parent cartridge of the .22-250. If that rifle is a model 99 get it and take it home and love it like a first born child. It's not as popular as it once was, but it's not a forgotten cartridge, no you won't find it in every Wal- mart but you should be able to order it fairly easy.

4. Member
    I just picked up my old tang safety Ruger 77 in the caliber on Tuesday. It is one of the calibers I have always wanted. It is well thought of for a good deer cartridge. As stated above, they twisted it up with a slow twist for the lighter bullets to get the speed out of it. As a result, I have not been able to find anyone who factory loads with a bullet above 115 grs. And...very few can be found with over a 100 gr. bullet.

Do a Google search for 25 Savage ammo for sale or go to https://ammoseek.com/ammo/250-savage and you can get an idea of who all makes what in that caliber. Ammo can be found around home here in the smaller pawn/gun shops and I'm sure in some of the larger shops in the nearest city to us. But, I can get better deals with more of a variety online. However, to get the best deals you need to shop around online and include the cost of shipping. I have found that Graf & Sons and Midsouth Shooter's Supply as well as Cabela's has the best shipping rates. New brass for it if you reload is readily available. I don't think it is a seasonal manufacturing of the brass as it is with brass like the 284 Win. Good luck with it and buy it if it is a good price. Don't let the fact that you might be the only one in the deer camp with the little 25. I am one who doesn't like to have a rifle/cartridge like everyone else!

5. Member

Thanks for all the info.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    The first cartridge to break 3000 FPS, Savage done it by dropping bullet weight until it broke 3000 FPS, I believe they done it with an 87 grain bullet. The parent cartridge of the .22-250. If that rifle is a model 99 get it and take it home and love it like a first born child. It's not as popular as it once was, but it's not a forgotten cartridge, no you won't find it in every Wal- mart but you should be able to order it fairly easy.
    I have a Model 99 in 250 Savage. You are correct in that you do not see them much. Rarer yet it is factory drilled for a scope as the Savage stamp is rolled over to the side of the receiver. Absolutely love it! Great guns that were ahead of their time with the internal rotary magazine. Great deer hunting rifle.

Also have a factory-drilled one in 300 Savage.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

8. Member
    had a 300 savage ---what an awesome caliber ---sold it and have kicked myself ever since !!!!!
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

9. Member
    I had a lever action, rotary mag, 22 hi- power, my dad said it was a necked down 25-35, use it to hunt antelope in Montana 50 yrs ago, it was haef to get ammo for back then.