How to get fine scratches out?

So I tried buffing with Maguire ultimate compound and then polish and wax and it looks great but I can still see fine scratches/swirl marks. Also tried an area of 1500, 2000,3000 wet sand followed by compound, polish and wax and still same thing? Any ideas how to get the fine stuff out. I'm super OCD with my stuff.

Couple things could be goin on....you may not have gotten aggressive enough with the sandpaper/grit to remove the scratches/swirls from the start. Next, you could be sanding “heavy handed” with your final sanding stages making the compound stage harder. Lastly you may not be getting the gel hot enough with the buffer to remove your sanding marks. All of this assuming your sanding in straight lines, using a wool cutting pad and 3000 grit compound. Last thing, without seeing it in person a final buffing round with 3M Perfect It 2 or Finesse It II and a yellow wool finishing pad could remove what your seeing....? I think I have a couple pics I’ll post of getting a “paint like finish” and removing all the little imperfections.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

This is a customers 2012 Ranger. He wanted a “paint like” finish on his top cap...

Attached Images Attached Images
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    Crank68, I'm using the harbor freight Chicago 7in polisher, buffer and running it at 1000,1500rpms. I was also thinking this may not be fast(hot) enough but was wanting to be carefully. I'm sanding in straight lines and using very light pressure. Only enough to keep the paper folded under my hands during sanding. It definitely the swirls from the compounding as I'm doing that in a circular motion.

What color is your boat....Slow the machine down to say 800 RPM and move it real slow and use a lot of compound. Shoot me a text pic of what you’re seeing and I’ll try to help more.
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    What color is your boat....Slow the machine down to say 800 RPM and move it real slow and use a lot of compound. Shoot me a text pic of what you’re seeing and I’ll try to help more.
    boat is black and white with silver flake in the black.
    Ok when I get a chance I will. Busy with work again. Thank you.

10-4. Darker boats can be harder to make look “perfect”.
    www.ncboatguy.com

8. Member

Cranks pictures

Wow Crank, you do some awesome work.

9. Member
    This is the side of my Nitro. I used Menzerna FG 400, rotary polisher with a orange pad. Run rotary @ 1500rpms.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 Nitro Z18 175 ProXS Atlas 8" 24 Fury

10. Scraps
    After owning two black vehicles I can really appreciate the talent and expertise in knowing how to properly and efficiently correct finish defects. You can try and try with the wrong products and bad technique and get nowhere.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    I've learned through the years to always do test areas using different compound's and pads and see what will give the best results. Fg400 works great on lighter colors but darker colors will leave a little haze that will need a second polishing with a finer polish.
    2016 Nitro Z18 175 ProXS Atlas 8" 24 Fury

12. Member
    Many times a wool pad will cause swirl marks I always use foam pads. Once wet sanded with 1500-2000 wet then Meguiars 83 with either a white or yellow depending manufacturer. Once sanding marks are gone then I use a gray foam pad and any swirl remover making figure 8`s with the buffer. Buffer speed can be kinda personnel as depending on what I am buffing determines the speed but mostly 800- 1800 rpm.