Mercury High Performance Gear Lube +

I have been using Mercury High Performance Gear Lube + in the lower unit for years. Last time I bought any I got several qts.
    Now I am down to my last few qts. and am looking for more. When I put in the part number I get Mercury High Performance Gear Lube.
    SAE 90. I think it is the same thing but need to make sure. Part no. is the same on both bottles Part no. 92-858064K01

2. Member
    It is a SAE 90 weight .....just pick up a quart at wally world ....Quicksilver the same as Mercury , just difference label .

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    It is a SAE 90 weight .....just pick up a quart at wally world ....Quicksilver the same as Mercury , just difference label .
    +1.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. BBC Lifetime Member Fish TR19's Avatar
    The lube I am asking about both have a Mercury label, not 1 Mercury and 1 Quicksilver.
    Thanks for the replies.

I guess with both having the same part number. The lube is the same,just the bottle has changed.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the part number is the same, it is the same part (just a different bottle).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. BBC Lifetime Member Fish TR19's Avatar
    Thanks for the help.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If the part number is the same, it is the same part (just a different bottle).
    the part number on the walmart quicksilver high performance gear lube sae 90 is 92-8m0116465 not the same number

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check that number- according to Mercury’s system it’s an Invalid Number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check that number- according to Mercury’s system it’s an Invalid Number.
    got the qt right in front of me, i bought it about 2 weeks ago thats the number on it
    Last edited by buster502; 03-21-2018 at 09:33 PM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hmmm... any chance you can snap a picture of the bar code and Part Number?

11. Member
    sure i just left you a pm with my number, i can text it to you

12. Member
    Mercury and Quicksilver labeling seems to change often which, IMO, adds to confusion. Two things remain constant, High Performance is 90w, so if the label says "High Performance" and 90w that's what it is. If the viscosity on the label is 80w-90 it is NOT high performance nor compatible with high performance (do not mix the two) - it is premium and for engines under 75hp.

I now only look for two things on Mercury or Quicksilver lower unit lube labels - "high performance" and 90w. If it has both, good to go.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    if you look on walmarts website it shows the 90w gear lube,the picture shows one part number and when you down at the specs it shows the mercury number, thats different than the front number,my quart has the factory number lol

14. Member
    I have come to the conclusion that Mercury/Quicksilver bottles their products with different labels and part numbers for different retailers so they don’t have to price match each other. I think that this is especially true for Walmart and Academy Sports and probably many other large retailers.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that Mercury/Quicksilver bottles their products with different labels and part numbers for different retailers so they don’t have to price match each other. I think that this is especially true for Walmart and Academy Sports and probably many other large retailers.
    Pretty sure I've read Don post the same.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    This seems to be the case here. It's all in volume/numbers- I'm sure if you wanted to order 10 semi-truck loads you could have it named after yourself.